starting strength gym

Thread: Absolute newcomer, nearing 40 and big with it, London

Default Absolute newcomer, nearing 40 and big with it, London

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, as per title, I'm 39 years old and weighing in at 278lbs and 5"9 tall. No injuries.

I bought Starting Strength in April 2013 but just had my first session using the programme last week.
    I've been working with a personal trainer for six months. We've been doing a mix of stuff and I never felt I was learning a programme I could do on my own, even when we were meeting 2 or 3 times a week. Nothing kicked in for me and in these five months I went to the gym less than 10 times on my own.

So I've now told him it has to be Starting Strength. At the moment we're meeting once a week, so a couple of my sessions will be on my own. I have 5 more sessions paid for which I'll use to begin to learn correct form.

After my fourth SS session my weights are:

Squat: 75kg (165lb)
    Overhead press: 37.5kg (82lb) (failed on 4th rep at 40kg) (I did read it's a bad idea as a novice to lift to failure, though he said if you're with a trainer it can be useful?)
    Bench press: 50kg (110lb)

Those weights are on the final set, with first and second sets 10kg and 5kg lighter.

Deadlift: 80kg (176lb)

I will also be doing 5x 60 minute Hot Yoga classes and a couple of meditation classes each week.

[DUCKS!]

Hah! Well, I have big problems with anxiety, and I found yoga helps with that. (I am definitely able to believe that in time SS will help more - the problem right now fundamentally is that I am weak in mind and body). I've been to 70+ hot yoga classes in the past 20 weeks. It has clearly worked for me that, like SS, it's a fixed sequence that we follow each time. I don't expect to lose weight or gain muscle doing it. And I know that when I am doing SS and hot yoga on a day, the weights will alway be the earlier activity.

My SS sessions will be Mon, Weds, and Fri. Yoga will be Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat. Tuesday and Sunday will be rest days.

I will be walking a lot. The pedometer on my phone claims I walked 33.6 miles last week - though I wouldn't be surprised if that was an overestimate. Until last autumn I cycled 30 or so miles a week, slowly, but frankly I'm glad that I stopped and I don't plan to do it again this year. I've swum a few times these past six months but I never picked up momentum, and again I'm putting that to one side for now.

Foodwise my breakfast is great, typically salmon or mackerel or kippers on rye bread, or oats, flaxseed and soy milk, plus a banana or berries. I have a couple of 450 calorie 'Huel' meal replacement shakes each day. I rarely eat meat, eggs or milk.

I have a problem with binging on cakes/crisps/bread/pizza/pasta the rest of the day. Hopefully that will improve as I get stronger and have a routine to follow. I'm going to try only allowing myself 90% dark chocolate when I want something sugary. I don't drink alcohol, but I have gallons of black coffee and green tea. I haven't been able to give them up despite knowing they exacerbate my anxiety.

Of course I'd like to lose weight and certainly want to get down to under 200lbs and I know I will need a regular calorie deficit for that.

I've really enjoyed my first SS sessions and it's a revelation for me to realise that I need to focus on becoming strong before I can become fit. When I grew up I never knew that I could or should be strong. I don't think I set foot in a gym before the age of 35. So I'm wanting to achieve now what I didn't have as a 20 year old.

Onwards and upwards!
    Last edited by alex_london; 03-18-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Good for you for starting and learning that strength is the fundamental element of all human activity. For advice on nutrition and losing weight while gaining strength check out the nutrition section.

I don't know what "hot yoga" is but it doesn't sound strenuous so it should not conflict with strength building. Why not take 1 or 2 good tasting protein bars with you when you get an urge for sweets instead of the crisps and such. In fact give up bread and pizza until you do get your weight under control.

Keep up the good work. It's never to late to start as long as you are still above ground. I started at age 66.
    Last edited by carson; 03-17-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Thank you for your encouraging words, Carson! I will be sure to check out the other forums.

I enjoyed this article about yoga helping with strength building! Yoga, Yes Yoga, For Big Bastards | T Nation
    There are a lot of poses in the yoga sequence that stretch the back, but I think done correctly it will complement my SS sessions.

I've just set up to start working with London-based starting strength coach Carl Raghavan, after seeing him so well-reviewed on this forum. That'll start in May. Looking forwards to it!