starting strength gym

Thread: How to know what jump to use doing simple progression?

Default How to know what jump to use doing simple progression?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In your simple progression advice in PP:ST you recommend making jumps of 10-15lbs. for squats, 15-20 lbs. for deadlifts, and bench presses, overhead presses and cleans 5-10 lbs. per workout.

I started lifting again for the third time about 3 months ago. I lifted for 4 weeks, took a week off, 4 weeks then took another week off. These workouts consisted of 3x15 lunges and DB squats (holding dumbbell on chest). Then I followed the SS program verbatim for about a week and a half before I had an issue and couldn't train except with the bar for a week. I started back SS again, and my 6th workout will be Saturday.

Before I stopped SS I felt that I could move up 10-15 lbs. on the 3x5 squat weight; it did not feel heavy enough. When I came back, I only got 2 reps on the last set at that weight. Next two workouts I did the weight for all the reps. Workout after that, went up 10 lbs. and then the workout after that another 10.

Should I keep moving it up by 10 until I can't get all the reps on the last set, and then add another set of 5 at 10-20 lbs. less weight to get the volume in? Or would it be better to at some point, I guess going off how I feel, start tapering the increases down so I always get all reps in a set? I wonder about the second option as going by how you "feel" doesn't always seem to be useful in defining your limits.

Thank you.

You should carefully plan your increases so that you always -- and for a long as possible -- get all the reps in all three sets across. This is how long-term progress is accomplished. "Feeling" is untrustworthy for a novice, because it it not based on experience. Stick to the program, grow stronger, and you'll eventually develop the judgement to vary the program. But not now. Just do it as written.

Thanks. I will keep jumping by tens then.