starting strength gym

Thread: Chronic Hip Injury: Keep Training or Not

Default Chronic Hip Injury: Keep Training or Not

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a reoccurring hip injury that flares up every time I start squatting over 150 pounds. I take a couple weeks off and then lighten the load and work my way back up. Then the pain comes back. I have had two MRI's that only showed some scar tissue on the hip socket. I've been to both chiropractors and PT's. Both tell me my sacrum is twisted or that I have an upslip.
    Prior to SS I was a cardio bunny doing lots of high impact exercise like HIIT and running. This is when the pain started as well as the trips to the chiro and PT. I was hoping SS would help with this as I now just walk and do SS. And it does help till I start getting heavy. I feel the pain in my right glute and hip area on the push back up from the bottom of the squat. The pain radiates from my right hip/glute area to my groin.
    Any advice on how to proceed?

Weight: 120
    Height: 5'1

Form checks

I am a licensed massage therapist and a few years ago helped a friend of mine, Crystal Riner, with a similar issue. She had just started SS, and was having issues with squats. Her squats would go sideways while she was squatting down. It was impossible for her to perform the squat correctly, no matter how she tried. Upon examining her, I found she had a pelvic rotation, an anterior pelvic tilt, and I also believe an upslip. With all of those things going on, it was physically impossible for her to perform a squat correctly. I used the Myofascial Release Approach as developed and taught by John Barnes, and was able (in one session), to correct all three issues. Afterwards, Crystal was able to correctly perform the squat.

I would recommend first and foremost find a massage or physical therapist who has this training and have your pelvic issues corrected. Unless you have a physical injury or medical condition that causes the upslip, it can likely be corrected with John Barnes' method for Myofascial Release. Once your physical posture is corrected, you should have no further issues with the squat as your mechanical function should be restored.

Based on the information you provided about your MRI, my guess is that you have been this way for some time with your body mechanics being incorrect and forming scar tissue in the hip as a result. That is just a guess on my part though, without seeing you in person, I can't say or diagnose anything for certain.

Myofascial Release (MFR) works with the connective tissue in the body and is great for restoring posture and proper range of motion. There are a few different MFR techniques taught, but only the John Barnes method is gentle and can affect posture in a long lasting manner. So make sure you find a therapist with this specific training.