starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late night training in an empty gym

Default Late night training in an empty gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everybody I'm Chris. I'm 31, 6'3", and about 230lb.

I started training the LP recently because I was tired of my gut expanding. My family is amazing but food tends to be a big social thing for us. As such, there aren't many skinny or fit people in my family. I am determined to stay off that path and to set a good example for my daughter.

I have done some lifting in the past but I never had a real plan. I also did a lot of other ridiculous stuff during my years in the army.

I've got a few workouts to upload so I'll put them in individual posts.

Monday 3-12-18

Squat
    45x5x2
    115x5
    135x5x3
    Adductors felt tight/sore during last set and stayed sore for a while. Poor warm up? Definitely sloppy form

Press
    45x5x3
    65x5
    85x5
    Weight felt right, just at the edge of form deterioration.

Deadlift
    135x5
    155x5
    175x5
    185x5
    205x5
    Need to focus on form, rounding back

This is the first workout and I was finding my work weights. I did not find the 2.5 and 5 lb plates in the gym for a couple more workouts.
    Last edited by Burlingame; 04-13-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: formatting

Thursday 3-15-18

Squat
    45x5x3
    95x5
    115x5
    145x5x3
    Still feeling adductor/groin pull at the site of my hernia surgery. I can feel the pull with the empty bar but not bodyweight only. Maybe I need to stretch more?

Bench
    45x5
    95x5x2
    115x5
    135x5x3
    Finding working weight for bench

Deadlift
    95x5x2
    115x5
    135x5
    155x5
    185x2
    225x5

Still hadn't found the smaller plates yet.

Monday 3-19-18

Squat
    155x5x3
    Still some groin pulling, noticed it at about 130lbs. I think it may be form related

Press
    90x5x3

Deadlift
    235x5

First workout with the App. My warmups are now much better incremented. I think this was the day I found the smaller plates.

Wednesday 3-21-18

Squat
    165x5x3
    Groin pull at 105lbs. this time.

Bench
    140x5x3

Deadlift
    245x5

Monday 4-9-18

Squat
    175x5x3
    Pulling again on first work set. Noticed it happens when I really focus on keeping my knees out to the side.

Press
    95x5x3

Deadlift
    255x5

Had a break in training due to vehicle issues and work scheduling.

Welcome Chris! I'm relatively new myself, but can share some of what I've learned based on my experience and reading a lot of articles and forum posts here. I doubt stretching is the answer to your squat issue. Going through the warm-up sets should be enough to get you ready to do your heavy sets. My #1 recommendation is to schedule an appointment with a Starting Strength Coach, either one on one or at a seminar to get your form down. I've done both and can't understate how helpful it can be, especially early in the program. If that's not possible you should take a video and post it on the Technique board, or get your username verified and post on the Ask a SSC board. Read the stickys carefully for these boards too. But really, go see a coach in person and save yourself a lot of aggravation down the road.

Oh, and order some microplates to keep in your gym bag. That will help a lot with the bench and press. 5 lb jumps on those lifts don't last very long.

Wednesday 4-11-18

Squat
    185x5x3
    Still pulling. Noticed widening my stance helped significantly, but it's not gone.

Bench
    145x5x3

Deadlift
    265x5
    Barely made my 5. Might need to drop to 5lb increments next time
    Last edited by Burlingame; 04-14-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Friday 4-13-18

Squat
    195x5x3
    Hard groin pull on first work set. Noticed I seem to be too focused on form and exaggerating things. I shifted my focus off of form to other things for the last two sets and didn't have any issues. I think when I focus on my form I end up pushing my knees out too far.

Press
    100x5x3

Deadlift
    275x2
    I tried to go one more workout with a 10lb jump and got a reality check. I got two reps and about half way up on the 3rd. I kept trying but couldn't get off the floor. I guess I need to drop to 5lb increments. Maybe it's time to start doing cleans.

Mike,

Thanks for the input. I think I've narrowed down my groin pull issue. It's always a sharp pull where the mesh is from my hernia surgery. I noticed last night while training that when I really focus on form and go real deep is when I have problems. I think I end up pushing my knees too far to the outside and go too deep. If I concentrate on hip drive and let the form sort itself things seem to be fine.

As far as setting an appointment with an SSC. I don't think that's in the cards at the moment. The nearest one is about 3 hours away and I can't afford his rates at the moment. I'll have to take a long look at the technique board and submit some videos for feedback. Someday I'll make it to a seminar, but it's not in the cards at the moment.

I think I am going to make up some microplates soon.

Thanks again,
    Chris

starting strength coach development program
    I'd definitely get onto submitting some videos of your form if you're feeling pain. Making good progress there regardless, all the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast