starting strength gym

Thread: Self Critical in the Weight Room

Default Self Critical in the Weight Room

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I beat myself up a lot (mentally) in the weight room. For example, I can do 19 chins. Having hit this number several times, I really wanted to get a PR of 20. When I attempted yesterday, I knew by rep 16 or so that I wasn't going to get it. I, for whatever reason, started the long set out holding my breath and I think that did me in. I gripped wrong as well. But the reasons didn't matter, all I could think about is my failure.

Anyway, I was so angry at myself for missing the attempt. This is very common for me: When I miss weights or reps that I expect myself to get, I become extremely angry with myself. It gets to the point where I really can't do anything useful for awhile after I come home from the gym because I just feel so sick about my performance. I know it's stupid to get that worked up about a bad day in the gym, but I do nonetheless.

It's detrimental to my training and my well-being as a person. I certainly don't like letting my gym performance determine my mood for the next 24 hours. Have you ever trained athletes who have these same issues? How did they get over them?

Thanks.

Most people grow out of this. It is a matter of perspective. I assume you're a very young guy with limited life experience, and the fact is that until something really bad happens to you, you don't actually have a handle on what BAD really is. If you judge yourself based strictly on your weight room performance, it also indicates that you're probably not trying really hard in any other area of your life, and that maybe an adjustment could be made here as well.

Well, I'm a definite type A, a perfectionist in almost every aspect of my life (a lifestyle and mentality which I wouldn't recommend to anyone). I guess it's not just a weight room thing because I have the same issues with school stuff, for example.

But as far "bad" things not happening to me, you're probably right there. For example, no one really close to me has ever died.

Thanks for the input. You've given me some things to think about.