starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, unsure if deep enough

Default Squat form check, unsure if deep enough

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coaches,

I'm moving my way up to my first 3 plate squat but I'm a little unclear bout whether my squat is at proper depth. I have tried squatting lower than this and it really feels like I have to loosen my hips or my back to achieve any extra depth, but watching Alan Thrall and Austin Baraki on youtube they seem to both squat lower than I do. Can I get an evaluation of my form? Thanks.

This is 285 on my 3rd set of 5.

YouTube

Hi Isaac,

You're technically at depth, in that the hip crease is just below the top of your patella. But you are sliding your knees forward all the way down. We'd like you to get your knees set about 1/3 of the way down, as far forward as they need to go. You are holding them back. Let them go out and forward earlier.

I usually cue this with a jump. Without thinking about it too much, just take your squat stance and jump, like you are trying to escape zombies. Now, pay attention to how your parts moved when you dropped down at the beginning of the jump. Hips, knees, and chest all moved at the same time. I bet your knees moved forward sooner in the jump than they do in your squats. Let's try to replicate the beginning of the jump at the beginning of the squat.

Thanks Karl. Is my position at the bottom correct or do the knees need to come forward more there too?

I think you are pretty close to good, if you can get your knees moving sooner. You appear to have short femurs.

I just came back from a squat day. I did 15 reps in some odd combinations of 4s 2s and 3s. I feel far more stable and natural at lower weights using the jumping cue but it made my PR sets incredibly hard because it feels like I end up a lot more upright than I'm used. My hip drive feels weaker because my chest is higher. Is this a correct sensation that I just need to work through?

I'd need to see them.

Why are you doing 4s, 2s, and 3s?

Nipples down, knees out, hips go back. All three have to happen at the same time.
    Last edited by Karl Schudt; 05-05-2018 at 01:19 PM.

I had 285 3x5 last time but I did not succeed at 290 for a set of 5 this time. I’ll get back to you when I have a video next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Karl

I have a video for you this week. I had to go down quite a bit because I could not hit my PR with changed form.

This is 275 x 5, I'm really thinking about bending the knees and it feels rather different but not necessarily bad
    YouTube

Here's heavier at my previous PR of 290, only can do 3. Feels much less stable.

YouTube

Thanks