starting strength gym

Thread: Can't get rid of the damn butt wink

Default Can't get rid of the damn butt wink

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

After a lot of form work and re-teaching myself how to squat (I originally learned the powerlifting style squat, with little quad involvement), I thought I had it down pretty solidly. Then I took a vid of myself a couple weeks ago and discovered, much to my chagrin, a bit of lumbar unlock when reaching depth.

Here's the vid to that set, 185 lbs (note: no music, but a lot of ambient noise, probably best to kill the volume)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YS4BoK6WE

A week later, I did another vid, after focusing on my lower back for three workouts and stretching my hamstrings more than usual. As you can see in the next vid, the result was rebounding before I hit parallel. Weight is 195 here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivQL8kRF8A

I'm pretty frustrated. After reviewing the squat compilation vids, I think I'm in pretty good shape everywhere else...looking down, no forward travel of knees at the bottom, etc. My eye isn't experienced enough to pick up good hip drive...might that be the issue?

Thank you for your time.

-sergeant

First, get some weightlifting shoes with a heel, which will help your bottom position by placing your knees a little bit more forward. Second, please lean forward a little bit more (try not to stay so upright) so that you can drive your hips better. I see no butt wink of any consequence at all, no significant lumbar flexion that needs to be dealt with.

Sergeant, I just want to commend you on that beautiful power rack, is that your own design? I want a power rack, but have no money and don't know how to weld. Can you use that one for Bench pressing as well? What do you have on top of the 2x4s to hold the bar in place? I'm presuming the buckets are filled with concrete?

I would be grateful if you could give me the construction details (in all seriousness).

-Andrew

Heh, figures I'd freak out about a problem I didn't have.

Will get the shoes and work on forward lean. Thanks!

-sergeant-

Yes, it is a handsome rack.

starting strength coach development program
    They're pretty much what you described. I took two 2x4s, cut them off at chest-height (52 inches or so for me), and set them in two buckets with concrete. The hard part was holding the posts level while they dried; I braced them with bricks, but one of the posts is still a little off. I attached a wall bracket with 1 1/2 inches or so above the top of each post on either side to hold the bar in place. It ain't pretty but it does the job.

For safety on a set I don't feel I can make, I use a pair of standard sawhorses; those aren't in the vid.

I haven't figured out how to bench without a bench yet, so I still travel to a local gym on my bench days.

-sgt-