• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm on LP since 20th of february, started with an empty bar
    42 y/o male
    squat 75kg
    deadlift 100kg

when is it time for a belt?

And if I should get one:
    Anyone willing to help me in the choice of belt?

This one:
    Fortex Powerlift Riem - Quick-Release - Fitness Seller
    Quick release belt
    10 mm thickness, 10cm width
    inside is suede, I think it's a combination of leather (in Dutch split-leder)

or this one:
    ATX Powerlift Riem - Hoogwaardig Nerfleder - Fitness Seller
    One pin belt
    13mm thickness, 10cm width
    all leather

Get and use one as soon as you want. Use it on the last warm up set and work set. Standard 4" 10mm belt, single prong is fine. Depending on your size (rib to hip space), it might be uncomfortable for squats/DL, so, you would also need a 3" or even a 2" belt.

I use a lever belt, but that's because, like you, I got obsessed by reviews and 'best belts'. The fact is, the best belt is the one you buy and use. You will need to learn how to use it-in the early stages of training you probably don't yet know how to breath properly to get maximum tightness and until you do, the belt probably won't be much more than a placebo.

Belts are thought of as a right of passage, but don't think of them like that, just use them to help get your lifts up as soon as you like. I had this idea that you had to prove yourself as a serious, seasoned lifter, before getting a belt, but that was rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Get and use one as soon as you want. Use it on the last warm up set and work set. Standard 4" 10mm belt, single prong is fine. Depending on your size (rib to hip space), it might be uncomfortable for squats/DL, so, you would also need a 3" or even a 2" belt.

I use a lever belt, but that's because, like you, I got obsessed by reviews and 'best belts'. The fact is, the best belt is the one you buy and use. You will need to learn how to use it-in the early stages of training you probably don't yet know how to breath properly to get maximum tightness and until you do, the belt probably won't be much more than a placebo.

Belts are thought of as a right of passage, but don't think of them like that, just use them to help get your lifts up as soon as you like. I had this idea that you had to prove yourself as a serious, seasoned lifter, before getting a belt, but that was rubbish.
    That last sentence is exactly the feeling I'm having too.. like in I have to squat at least 150 and DL 200kg before I can even speak of a belt.

The reason I'm more and more looking for a belt is because I'm really trying hard to breath from my belly up.
    And then keeping everything as tight as possible, but because there is no reference I'm not sure.

I am 44 years old with past back issues. I use a belt for working weight. Found an inexpensive one online for about 50 bucks, quick release. It works well. I imagine I will get a better one once I can afford it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ARD-CHAMP...-2XL/112692645

I'm a novice with a 245# working weight DL and 225 working weight SQ.

I also use it for overhead press at working weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Şenol Tapirdamaz View Post
    That last sentence is exactly the feeling I'm having too.. like in I have to squat at least 150 and DL 200kg before I can even speak of a belt.

The reason I'm more and more looking for a belt is because I'm really trying hard to breath from my belly up.
    And then keeping everything as tight as possible, but because there is no reference I'm not sure.
    All it really does is to effectively give an extra layer of muscle around the abdominals so you can get tighter overall. I only use it for final warm up and working sets. At the moment I don't use it on squats or DL, only because, at 4" it interferes with my rib cage too much. I've just bought a cheap 2" belt for those lifts. Keep working on your breathing -think of someone about to slug you in the guts on every rep, squeeze down through the hips, tighten the glutes up.

I use a belt for any squats over 225 lb and all my press and bench work sets. Works wonders.

I really like my 3" belt from Best Belts.

If you're going to invest in a quality belt, go with the Best. The Finest Belt Ever Made

Get one asap...never look back...enjoy the strength gains and snicker at the naysayer. Ive had an Inzer single prong belt for 6 years now. Its perfect. Simple and perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    If you're going to invest in a quality belt, go with the Best. The Finest Belt Ever Made
    It looks like they're still not taking orders. I hope the "family situation" stuff is nothing serious.

Sorry, we are not taking orders at this time due to to a family situation. All current orders are still being processed. please call 775-513-8777 or email bobsbeltsusa@yahoo.com for questions or concerns

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2k View Post
    I am 44 years old with past back issues. I use a belt for working weight. Found an inexpensive one online for about 50 bucks, quick release. It works well. I imagine I will get a better one once I can afford it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ARD-CHAMP...-2XL/112692645

I'm a novice with a 245# working weight DL and 225 working weight SQ.

I also use it for overhead press at working weight.
    6.5mm Thick - 4" Power Lifting Belt by Pioneer • General Leathercraft Mfg.

Large, 4" wide, 6.5mm thick (no suede), untreated leather, single prong, tapered tongue; $50 plus shipping. I have that one plus a 3" deadlift belt. Can't go wrong with a Pioneer belt.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast