starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my LP ending?

Default Is my LP ending?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m sure everyone is tired of these posts by now but my squat is stalling hard at 305. I can get one or two sets of five in but I inevitably fail to get 3 sets. I’m definitely eating enough, getting 7-8hrs of sleep every night, resting 7 minutes between sets and have been increasing in only 5lb increments. I started doing a light squat day midweek a while back as suggested in the book for advanced novices. I even went back a few workouts and worked my way back up but 305 still gets me. Im 30yo, 6’1”, 270lbs(admittedly 50-60lbs overweight). I also lift barefoot because my feet are incredibly wide(6E) and cannot find shoes that will fit me. Not sure if I should switch to sets of 3 or go to a 1 on 2 off schedule. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like it might be the case with your squat. Are you failing on the 3rd set or not even attempting it? Have you had to reset it at all?

Those are some wide feet. Have you looked into buying something that runs wide, like Do-Wins, and having someone stretch them out for you?
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 05-07-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Need a better command of the English language.

I always fail on the fourth or fifth rep of the third set. Bench and press have been stalling too but it’s always been right after a grueling squat session where I don’t feel fully recovered. The squat work sets are like a 10/10 bone on bone effort. As for the shoes, I’m on the hook for $225 waiting for Risto Sports to send me a custom pair. Been waiting 3 months and they won’t respond to my attempts to contact them.

Not a coach, but my N=1 experience...

My LP was a total trainwreck with the usual form problems, way too many resets, and run way too long.

When I graphed it out, it looked like the Rocky Mountains.

Except that towards the end I eventually gave up on the third set, and just did 2x5, and I had 2.5 months of the only part of my "linear" progression that actually was linear; continuous, five pound jumps like clockwork.

If I was going to do it over, knowing a bit more than i did back then, I'd have done 2x5 across with either a third backoff set or maybe by keeping the weight of the third set steady until I hit five, and then increasing it by five pounds (letting it fall behind the 2x5).

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dconnolly55 View Post
    I always fail on the fourth or fifth rep of the third set. Bench and press have been stalling too but it’s always been right after a grueling squat session where I don’t feel fully recovered. The squat work sets are like a 10/10 bone on bone effort. As for the shoes, I’m on the hook for $225 waiting for Risto Sports to send me a custom pair. Been waiting 3 months and they won’t respond to my attempts to contact them.
    You could maybe try stretching out the rest periods beyond 7 minutes, but at this point, I concur with Mr. Troupos that you've likely reached the useful end of novice linear progression on your squat and are ready to move on. That's terrible about the shoes you ordered. Do you have a pair of work boots that you can wear in the meantime while you await their eventual arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by m_sporkboy View Post
    Not a coach, but my N=1 experience...

My LP was a total trainwreck with the usual form problems, way too many resets, and run way too long.

When I graphed it out, it looked like the Rocky Mountains.

Except that towards the end I eventually gave up on the third set, and just did 2x5, and I had 2.5 months of the only part of my "linear" progression that actually was linear; continuous, five pound jumps like clockwork.

If I was going to do it over, knowing a bit more than i did back then, I'd have done 2x5 across with either a third backoff set or maybe by keeping the weight of the third set steady until I hit five, and then increasing it by five pounds (letting it fall behind the 2x5).

But that's just me.
    Did you log this or do you otherwise have the data available? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You could maybe try stretching out the rest periods beyond 7 minutes, but at this point, I concur with Mr. Troupos that you've likely reached the useful end of novice linear progression on your squat and are ready to move on. That's terrible about the shoes you ordered. Do you have a pair of work boots that you can wear in the meantime while you await their eventual arrival?
    I actually do have some steel toe work boots. I never thought about squatting in them. You think that’d be better than barefoot? As far as Risto goes, I know some SS coaches have suggested their shoes. I can’t speak for the quality of the product, I’m sure they’re excellent, but their communication and customer service is the worst I’ve ever experienced. There are a few recent google reviews that are very concerning in terms of customers actually getting their orders. I hope I receive mine someday.

I actually do have some steel toe work boots. I never thought about squatting in them. You think that’d be better than barefoot? As far as Risto goes, I know some SS coaches have suggested their shoes. I can’t speak for the quality of the product, I’m sure they’re excellent, but their communication and customer service is the worst I’ve ever experienced. There are a few recent google reviews that are very concerning in terms of customers actually getting their orders. I hope I receive mine someday.
    Skilling makes a good point. Something with a minimally compressible sole and a heel would be better than barefoot.
    And unfortunately, I've heard poor feedback on Risto's customer service/responsiveness from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Did you log this or do you otherwise have the data available? I'd be interested in seeing it.
    Yeah, I have a graph somewhere. I'll try to dig it up.

starting strength coach development program
    I’m sure everyone is tired of these posts by now but my squat is stalling hard at 305. I can get one or two sets of five in but I inevitably fail to get 3 sets. I’m definitely eating enough, getting 7-8hrs of sleep every night, resting 7 minutes between sets and.....
    How about trying 10? Or 15? and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast