starting strength gym

Thread: Eye focal point during squats

Default Eye focal point during squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Rip,

Thank you again profusely for sharing your wealth of knowledge with morons like myself who have been fed a steady diet of useless misinformation, bad information or even retarded information from "trainers" or other "experts" with far less experience or intelligence. Those who question your credibility should have a 45 lbs plate dropped on their balls. Twice.

That said, I had a "happy accident" (not in my pants) while squatting the other day & others on the board may benefit from it...you've said how important focusing your eyes is on one point, but I've had trouble finding a divot, speck, chunk, dust, god-knows-what-it-is, on the floor to stare at until yesterday when a nickel was sitting (lying?) there a few feet in front of me. Perfect! I even made 5 cents! Anyhow, it was a great way to have one point to stare at for all sets & not have to constantly look for something.

I have painted dots on the wall before, and laid things down on the floor like you did.

That was my nickel, by the way.

Wouldn't having one point to look at during the entire set not work?

Head position, as I understand it, is fixed, and as the torso changes angle, so to would the head, therefore, the head would be looking at a different point during the squat. Having a fixed point on the floor would result in the head looking more forward towards the bottom, unless I am misunderstanding something; I can think of one perhaps using their eyes instead of changing their head position, and if that is the case, it is a simple fix.

Eye gaze does two things. It sets the cervical position, and it provides a stationary position reference. So the gaze point needs to be fixed, and your neck position can accommodate this easily.