starting strength gym

Thread: Masters Powerlifting Questions

AfraidtoQuit Guest

Default Masters Powerlifting Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rippetoe,

I recently purchased all three of your books, and I am currently rereading the Practical Programming book. I'm 49 years old (50 in September), and I have been competing in Masters Powerlifting since 2004. I am currently training for the USAPL Raw Nationals. (I was an Olympic lifter when I was young, so I never liked the gear.)

My best raw lifts in a USAPL competition are 396 squat, 270 bench, and 520 deadlift at 198lbs. (At a USAPL meet in January, I did 396/270/501.)

I'm thinking of using the TSFOSB routine. (Even though I am not a very good lifter, I'm assuming I need to use more of a monthly plan because of my age.)

My question is this: I have trouble recovering from too much volume. For example, if I do 3X5X325, I'm extremely sore for days. (It tends to resolve itself when I switch to triples 3 or 4 weeks out from the meet.) I tend to do a light squat workout two or three days later with about 55% for 3X5. Should I be doing more volume and intensity in the light workout to alleviate the soreness? I'm assuming volume is more of a concern at my age. Also, I will drop the intensity more on the backoff weeks.)

Final note, I do all of my heavy lifts on one day, because of family/work commitments, so I'm sure I get it in with proper intensity:

Wed - Light Squat, Light Bench, Triceps
    Thurs - Chins/Biceps/Abs
    Sat or Sun - Heavy Squat, Heavy Bench, Narrow-Grip Bench (1 set), Press (1 set), Heavy Deadlift

Any comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

You're doing better than I am, Dave. I think you have got the programming problem solved, and that the TSFOSB thing would work fine under the format and schedule you have developed. Masters guys all have a unique set of problems that comes with the age deal, and the ones doing well also have learned what they need to know to keep training productively. I wouldn't presume to change your program, especially since it's working better than mine.

AfraidtoQuit Guest

Default Masters Powerlifting Questions

Coach Rippetoe,

Thanks for your reply. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your books, and I have learned something from each one. I will continue to re-read your Practical Programming book for ideas to try and adjustments to make. It is nice to find some excellent, factual information, based on real world experience.

Thanks again,
    Dave