starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's Training Log

Default Glenn's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    TL;DR version: I'm fat, weak, old and out of shape. But I don't want to be anymore.

So, I'm starting again. It isn't my first time, but I'd like it to be my last day 1...even if progress turns into maintenance, I'm too old, too fat, too...tired of starting from scratch. My name is Glenn, I understand the premise of the movie Benjamin Buttons and I love to eat carbs, and I want to turn back the clock a bit...hence my username, Glennjamin Gluttons.

I'm 41, 6'1 and 283 pounds. I've never been incredibly strong, have small joints and grew up in a family of big strong mountain men. I was the runner, the endurance guy, not the strong guy. I joined the Army, busted up my knee, got out and got fat. I was 153 pounds after losing 20 pounds no one thought I had to lose at Basic. Yes, that's skinny. Skinny AF. Didn't last though. About two decades of life post-military saw me nearly doubling my weight, losing the endurance, the running, the...spark. I've tried to get it back, tried Starting Strength even, but Rip would likely comment that I wasn't "doing the program". I have a big ego, too. I see light weights as unmanly, heavy weights without preparation or training for it and BANG, injured. Or too sore to lift again, so...another attempt to change ends in failure.

This time, it's gonna be different. For a couple of reasons. First, I hate spending money. But I invested in fixing myself. I mean, I've purchased and read all the books out there, but...I picked up a Titan T-3 power rack, weights, kettlebells, dumbells, a TRX system (for my wife, but I plan to use it for mobility) a Rogue Ohio bar and I have more weights coming. Second, I'm 100% checking my ego at the door. I'm starting with an empty bar. I'm not going up by 10 pounds, I'm going up by 5. Third, I'm driving two hours (each way) in a couple of weeks for a Starting Strength training session to evaluate my form. And am pre-paying for a 3-month follow-up, with intentions to have a standing every three months session. Fourth, I'm eating keto again (I was more active, and lost weight last year while on it, when I stopped eating that way - birthday sabotage - I stopped losing weight, and feeling better. Fifth, I'm posting here, so that even if no one ever reads this, I've put it out there. I have created some accountability out there. I'm willing to lie to myself, on if I should or should not order a protein bomb smoothie at the diner near my work, but I'm not gonna lie about what I do, as in lifts, etc. Perhaps, some other portly middle-aged guy wanting to make changes will read this, and get inspired, but mostly it is for the accountability. Finally, and I think most importantly, I'm taking zero days off. I can have one meal that isn't keto on my anniversary, birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, NYE and NY (son's birthday is NYE) but I get no days off from working out. I can miss my walk or jog if I need a break from that, but I have to do SOMETHING. I fail, 100% of the time I allow myself a day totally off. I don't have to set any world records, but I have to show up, sweat a little and then I can call it an early day if I need to, but if I can't lift because...I break an arm somehow, well I can do crunches until I sweat a little. I must do something.

So what am I doing, besides the above? I'm working on mobility and stretching. Rip said I could...in a video he said if you like Folgers coffee, Bud Lite or stretching, then drink the coffee, beer or do stretches, just don't think it's helping with the lifting. I really like stretching, but...my ego has stopped me from doing it. I'm walking around a golf course every day, and, will eventually run again. I'm taking poetic license and saying since I like to do that it is allowed. I UNDERSTAND it isn't optimal for the lifting, but my wife and I used to run the occasional 5K and we'd like to do it again. I'm NOT training for the Olympics or anything. I'm NOT going to be doing long runs, anything longer than a mile is race day, and almost never more than a 5K. On non-Starting Strength days, I'm doing 10 kettlebell swings every minute, on the minute for 10 minutes. Just to make me have to go into the homegym, get my heart rate up and move around. I'm using a light kettlebell, and not intending to smoke myself, just make everyday a day I put in work. That's way more than I should be putting on my plate, but I'm doing one more thing. Army yoga. I don't know what else to call it, but if you served, you know what those PT movements are. Toe touches and trunk twists that one where you reach for the sky then bend at the waist and reach behind you, the Hollywood stretches, all of that. It's part of my stretching, but...when I was in the Army, I felt good. So, I'll put on my headphones, listen to so Jody calls and do Army PT (without the pushups and crunches) and get ready for lifting.

Tonight, when I get home from work, is day 1. Yes, I'm using very light weights and will progress slowly. Yes, it isn't optimal, but I'm trying to build something like the Dave Ramsey snowball method to getting out of debt. OF COURSE you get out of debt faster by paying the higher interest loans first, that's simple mathematics, but if we were doing math we wouldn't be so in debt! The snowball method builds habit, and small progress becomes encouraging, sustaining and a catalyst for bigger growth. I don't need to bench 250 (I never have) before July to make progress, I need to make steady progress.

First update coming tonight

I'm eager to see the update from tonight and am very glad to see that you will check in with a coach every three months. Set a time of day when you can regularly lift and keep to it. Send some technique videos here from time to time. They too, will be most helpful.

Finally, you may be fat but you are not old. I did not start until I was 66. I wish every day that SS had been around when I was 41. What would my life had been like if it had?

Tonight I walked the golf course, then got home and did Army PT to get my body warm before doing my lifts. I used the app, and likely will just do it, as it's easy. I don't like lots of warmup sets, did one of each exercise.
    Squat 45x5 (3)
    Bench 45x5 (3)
    Deadlift 45x5

I did 10 minutes of EMOM 10-rep KB swings with a very, very light (15 lb) kettlebell. I did an hour of this last month (with a 36 pounder) but was sore for four days, so...ya. I stretched with my son, and had no desire to eat dinner.

I don't feel sore or stiff or overly tired, but I think I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm eager to see the update from tonight and am very glad to see that you will check in with a coach every three months. Set a time of day when you can regularly lift and keep to it. Send some technique videos here from time to time. They too, will be most helpful.

Finally, you may be fat but you are not old. I did not start until I was 66. I wish every day that SS had been around when I was 41. What would my life had been like if it had?
    Your training log is very inspiring and I thank you for posting it, and your kind words. You're right on the age thing, thank you for that perspective.

I thank you for you kind words. As you can see I've now been at this for over 5 years. You still have placed a great deal of store in many other things besides the program. I suspect that such preoccupation will hinder your progress. I did some of those same things when I started. I kept rationalizing that if following the program was helpful then more diddling would be even more helpful. I was wrong. I had Sully and a couple of other friends to dissuade me of my fascinations. When Linear Progression is over there is plenty of time for those other things.

By lifting 45 for all of your weights you have warmed up a bit but to start the program you must find your starting weights. This you find in one session by adding weight to the bar for as long as you can lift the weight with an approximation of good form. From memory I recall my starting weights were Dead: 75; both presses 45; Squat I could not do them. My linear progression lasted almost 8 months with these weights: Dead: 270; Squat: 190; Bench: 135; Press: 85. What can I say, I am old and slow. Your limits will probably be much greater and come more quickly because of your youth. In over 4 years since then I've progressed to: Dead: 341; Squat: 267.5 (but have since backed off for form); Bench: 175; Press: 117.5. What can I tell you? I'm old.

Finally, consult with a certified SS coach as much as possible. Video your lifts and post them on the technique section. Best wishes.

I agree with Carson. As the weight climbs some of the other stuff will start to interfere with doing the program. You have an advantage starting at 41. I didn't start seriously until 49 and am now 50. The older you get the slower the progress so hit it hard now! I have found that after you build a good amount of muscle fat loss becomes much easier. Good luck on the journey!

...You still have placed a great deal of store in many other things besides the program. I suspect that such preoccupation will hinder your progress. I did some of those same things when I started. I kept rationalizing that if following the program was helpful then more diddling would be even more helpful. I was wrong. I had Sully and a couple of other friends to dissuade me of my fascinations.
    Well, running was a daily part of my life for about half of my life. I've ran the Big Sur marathon (as a kid), clocked a 4:21 PR in the mile, and used to run 20-30 miles a week. I stopped, and got fat. Running a 5K a weekend a month or so with my wife is going to happen, Starting Strength program or not. I don't anticipate a single jog of over a mile that isn't part of a weekend 5K that happens likely once a month, max and that won't be until August at soonest. I'm walking the golf course (and eventually jogging on a regular, but not very frequent basis.

I prefer to warm up with very light movements - Army PT, and/or ten minutes of 10 kb swings with a supremely light weight, something that is not taxing, or jarring. Perhaps you're envisioning that I'm doing several sets of pushups and situps and such...I'm not. I'm not doing any of those things. I'm doing things like standing up straight with arms out to sides and rotating my body to the left, and then to the right as I stretch my back. I'm pulling an arm across my body and loosening up my shoulders. Stick arms out to side, rotate them in a circle in one direction for about ten revolutions, then opposite direction...all those things I used to do in formation. It uh...it doesn't do much taxing of my body, but it does make me feel good and safe to perform other movements. I could do it standing on my head if I had the balance.

I stretch sometimes while watching tv, or with my son, a seven year-old in martial arts. As I'm basically only walking at a golf course at the current time, and the purpose is making sure I do something daily is to reinforce habit, I don't feel like I'm wholly sabotaging my progression. I'm not smoking myself with kettlebell swings, I'm performing 10 reps a minute over ten minutes, raising my core temperature and doing light stretching. It's...to show up and get my body warm. I've done those for an hour, at more than double the weight and THAT was a workout. This...isn't. That said, if such light warmups mean I get only 90% of the strength progression, then...I'm ok with that. Starting Strength isn't my life's calling, and honestly, if doing light stretching and walking around the golf course is sufficient to break all (or most) benefits from lifting the weights in this program...well I don't believe it is, so no need to construct a straw man. But, it should be pointed out I'm not going to extremes in stretching, or in swinging my arms in a circle to limber up a little, or even walking a golf course. I'm not trying to train for the Badwater 135, doing more kettlebell swings than Tracy Reifkind or stretching for 2 hours a night. I'm not trying to qualify for the Olympics, or the Boston marathon. Surely this program isn't so...fragile...to be unraveled by bending over touching my toes and standing up for a few repetitions. If so, perhaps I should look for something more...sturdy.

By lifting 45 for all of your weights you have warmed up a bit but to start the program you must find your starting weights. This you find in one session by adding weight to the bar for as long as you can lift the weight with an approximation of good form. From memory I recall my starting weights were Dead: 75; both presses 45; Squat I could not do them. My linear progression lasted almost 8 months with these weights: Dead: 270; Squat: 190; Bench: 135; Press: 85. What can I say, I am old and slow. Your limits will probably be much greater and come more quickly because of your youth. In over 4 years since then I've progressed to: Dead: 341; Squat: 267.5 (but have since backed off for form); Bench: 175; Press: 117.5. What can I tell you? I'm old.
    I've benched 135 for ten this spring, and failed at 185. I've done doubles in the squat at 225, and deadlifted 315 for a single. I understand an empty barbell is not my true starting point for any of those lifts. I also understand that in four weeks - 12 sessions at 3 per week - I will be doing squats and deadlifts for 165x5 (more than I've ever done for 5 reps in the squat) and my bench press and overhead press will be at 75x5. I'll also have a month's solid effort of being consistent and recreating my habits. I will be truly in the weeds in a short period of time in the two lifts that will tax me the most, and, ok so it will take me a little longer to get there in the bench press. At the end of my second four-week period, I'd be at 285 for 5 reps in squat and the deadlift (if I don't go to phase two, which I likely would), and I don't know if I wouldn't have already hit a wall in the overhead press but if not, at 105 it would be a record. (I've only ever done dumbbell overhead presses for anything remotely on a regular basis, usually going 60-70 for 5-8 or so reps, so, yeah would be a big step doing 105 for 5.

That said, I grant you, it would be August before my bench was taxed into some kind of new territory, but...who knows how far it goes. If I can ten-rep 135, and fail to get a single on 185...it won't be that long until I'm clearly in an improved place. I'd be simply ECSTATIC to be doing OHP at new records, and new records (for the reps) in squat and deadlift. And that's only 8 weeks away. Why the rush? You wish you did this 20 years earlier, right? Would 19 years and 11 months be a deal breaker? I don't mind "wasting" a month to build the habit of doing it daily. I'm also, frankly, concerned that if I get too deep in the weeds to fast, I'm going to not have built up enough credit with myself to push through it. If I had sufficient habits and will power I wouldn't be fat and weak. Your gains and progress has been exceptional. I want to be prepared to pass the test when I get there. I don't think I will make it if I hit really hard sets too soon. I'm playing the long-game for once in my life. I am more than willing to invest some time into myself getting my form dialed in, getting used to the program, doing it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, making that slow but steady progress - that isn't all that slow, really.

Finally, consult with a certified SS coach as much as possible. Video your lifts and post them on the technique section. Best wishes.
    I'm going to consult with a SS coach, regularly. I will start recording my lifts before long. Thank you again, for your story and your input both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    I agree with Carson. As the weight climbs some of the other stuff will start to interfere with doing the program. You have an advantage starting at 41. I didn't start seriously until 49 and am now 50. The older you get the slower the progress so hit it hard now! I have found that after you build a good amount of muscle fat loss becomes much easier. Good luck on the journey!
    Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback. As above, I'm not going to be doing other stuff very intensly at all, and am happy to accept 10% fewer gains in return for being happy with myself, spending that time with my wife, and doing things that I enjoy.

Today I was spot-on for my diet again, limbered up with Army PT stretches, and played a few games of table tennis with my son and the neighbor kids. MUCH more intense than the kb swings. Wife and I walked the gold course while our son did homework and BJJ. Tomorrow I get session 2!

Sometimes it is hard to convey a thought as intended in writing! I will try and clarify a little bit. It is not that you can't do anything else besides the program but not do other activities to the extreme. I can see by your above post that this is how you plan to proceed.

Let me give you an example from my life. I have three kids ages 8, 10, and 12 and am not willing to sacrifice activities with them to be 100% dedicated to strength training. They are only young once and when that time is gone it can not be made up. Kids need to be active and as a father it is my responsibility to make sure that happens. In general parents today do not want to be involved with their kids. It is easier to pacify them with an electronic device. Even though I could still progress linearly in squats following an advanced novice template I switched all my lifts over to an intermediate program, my log is also in the general section. This allows more recovery time so that I can do the other activities with my kids that I am not willing to give up, like biking, hiking, camping, basketball, volleyball....... I am not suggesting that you switch to intermediate programming. Stay on LP as long as you can. I was far enough along that some of my lifts already needed to be changed and the leg volume was messing with my other activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    Sometimes it is hard to convey a thought as intended in writing! I will try and clarify a little bit. It is not that you can't do anything else besides the program but not do other activities to the extreme. I can see by your above post that this is how you plan to proceed.

Let me give you an example from my life. I have three kids ages 8, 10, and 12 and am not willing to sacrifice activities with them to be 100% dedicated to strength training. They are only young once and when that time is gone it can not be made up. Kids need to be active and as a father it is my responsibility to make sure that happens. In general parents today do not want to be involved with their kids. It is easier to pacify them with an electronic device. Even though I could still progress linearly in squats following an advanced novice template I switched all my lifts over to an intermediate program, my log is also in the general section. This allows more recovery time so that I can do the other activities with my kids that I am not willing to give up, like biking, hiking, camping, basketball, volleyball....... I am not suggesting that you switch to intermediate programming. Stay on LP as long as you can. I was far enough along that some of my lifts already needed to be changed and the leg volume was messing with my other activities.
    I look forward to running this program a while before hitting the end of my LP...and I will look for your log...I draw lots of inspiration from others. I also fully agree on parenting, I alter my life a lot to spend time with my son, doing the things he enjoys as much as I can. Your squats are your best lift as I understand, did you find this program was effective in the presses as well or was it "better" for Squat/Deadlift in your opinion? I was watching a video where one lifter opined that was the case for him, but a colleague of mine found the opposite to be true - until he went to a SS coach and made form corrections on the pulls and squats. Now he finds it works about the same for both. I'm just curious.

I did my lifts today
    Squat 55x5 (3) (these felt smoother than Monday, like I was popping up and down in a greased groove more than being a little wobbly at the bottom)
    OHP 45x5 (3)
    Deadlift 55x5

Was also down 1.2 pounds from Monday, which I think is mostly a result of not eating dinner in the evenings since I started doing this. It isn't fasting, I've just had...no appetite in the evening.

I walked the golf course, was 100% on diet, did the toe touches, etc and I am VERY happy to report that after the workout I felt like doing more. I didn't, but I feel good...fluid...uh...I don't know how to describe it. There is no stiffness in my shoulder girdle or pop in my hip that sometimes happens after lifting. I feel MORE motivated, more....dialed in. My body is getting used to doing these movements again, and 3 days does not a habit make but I can't wait to stretch my hips and shoulders out tomorrow.

The program was effective for me. The problem that I had is that I found Stronglifts 5X5 first and ran that for about 6 weeks. 5X5 proved to be way to much volume each session using linear progression for this 50 year old. I then found Starting Strength and it made a lot more sense. Apply the minimum dose to get results, any more and you are just beating yourself up and needlessly taxing the ability to recover. In addition to this I was benching and using machines for a few years prior to "getting serious" about lifting. The machines did virtually nothing and were a complete waste of time. I should have known better since barbells are what have worked for me in the past. Since I had been benching using a barbell/plates that is what ran out first for me. All the other lifts kept progressing until my squats hit 235X5X3. At this point I was overtrained and just to tired to continue at the fast LP pace. As I look back squatting 3 times a week plus deadlifts along with playing basketball did me in. It was the legs that caused failure not the upper body. I am sure a younger person would have better recovery and stay on LP longer. Many get their squat over 300 before it runs out.

I have now made a 2 day a week intermediate program based on the principals that I learned in the books and am having fun in the gym. More importantly I am making progress without killing myself since I am not overtrained. Overtraining will result in a stall or even a regression which is what happened to me at the end of LP. I still like to push hard and have to keep myself in check or I'll end up doing more than I can recover from.
    Last edited by Ken_L; 05-17-2018 at 12:57 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday I did the army PT, which I also did today. No swings either day, no walking at the golf course either day - work ran late yesterday and today I met up with a friend. It's bed time, but I couldn't go ot bed without banging out my sets, most encouraging sign so far.

Squat 65x5 (3) felt ok, not great.
    Deadlift (out of order because I was lazy about the bar weight change) 65x5
    Bench 50x5 (3)

Week 1, successfully done. I'm keeping my ego in check and being satisfied with my progress, paying attention to form and creating habits. It's like NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) you write a novel in a month. 50k words, or 1,667 a day. I got through it, by doing a little every day. I need to develop this habit further, but thanks to any/all who have read this. This blog is helping me change my life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast