starting strength gym

Thread: Building DL/PC platform - looking for opinions

Default Building DL/PC platform - looking for opinions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm building a 4'x8' platform for Deads, Cleans and pressing on. I plan on using 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF and topping it with 3/4" good 1 side plywood.

Question 1. Is there a better option in regards to durability than MDF?

I'm putting it in my basement on top of concrete/subfloor (don't know material)/oak hardwood

Question 2. Will dropping the bar from the hang position damage the hardwood under the platform?

Thanks in advance!

Also want an opinion of putting a Danish oil finish on the plywood top or leave it all natural.

Hi there,

If the platform sits directly on concrete, it might slide a little bit when doing dynamic stuff. I would put a layer of rubber underneath, just a few mm thick should be enough.

I personally made my platform using two layers for the base, plus a top. Properly glued and screwed together, there is no problem with dropping bars. Not sure if one layer would be enough; to me, it sounds sub-optimal.

If you plan on doing dynamic stuff, I would recommend a top layer that is smooth enough to allow a little dragging of the sole (that is, make sure your sole won't ever be grapped by the platform) but no more than that. Personally, I would avoid anything oily under my feet.

Hope this helps,

IPB

I have no idea if it is more durable, but I would think OSB (oriented strand board) would be a good thing to investigate vs. MDF. OSB can be rough (way rougher than MDF, for sure), but to me is seems stronger. I tried a little google-fu for the answer, but I can't seem to get a straight one. OTOH, it seems that OSB is used for subflooring in houses, so why not use it as the subfloor of your platform?

-Andrew

I used OSB (I think it was a bit over 1/2” thick) in 2 layers. I put down 2 4x8, then 2 4x8 laúd across, and screwed then together. Then for the 3rd and top layer, a 4x8 sheet of 3/4” sanded plywood down the middle. I cut a 3/4” horse stall mat in half, and put 2’ strips on the sides of the plywood. I think this is a pretty common approach (Alan thrall has a video on this).

Anyway, it’s on my cement garage floor, so hard to tell, but it feels fine with weight dropped on it. The whole thing is about 2” thick. The OSB was significantly cheaper than plywood. And the whole thing is so heavy that there’s no way it would slide around. It’s awkward to move, and I would recommend building it in the spot where you want to use it.

Yes, better option is hardwood oak. It's a bit more spendy, but more importantly a ton more work. I went that route though and love it. I also made mine 42" in width instead of 48". You don't have to be as careful with weights when the platform is skinnier.

starting strength coach development program
    What I did:
    Took 1 sheet of 3/4" MDF for the bottom and 2 sheets of 3/4" birch plywood for the top 2 layers. The middle layer of plywood was cut in to 2 - 4'x4' sheets and aligned the grain perpendicular to the top sheet.
    Screwed the 3 sheets together outside and used a circular saw to mitre the 4 edges to 45 degrees. Routered hand holds in the MDF to make the platform easier to lift and move around once complete.
    Disassembled the 3 sheets and moved them downstairs
    Glued two plywood sheets together and placed 550 lbs of weights on them to compress while glue dried for 24 hours.
    Glued the MDF on to the 2 plywood sheets and screwed platform together with 36 - 2" deck screws (countersunk to not damage the floor if platform slides around).
    Sanded the 45 degree edges flush.
    I'll add 2 - 2' strips of rubber matting to the top of the platform when I find a good deal on it.

What I should have done different:
    Cut the 45 degree edges on table saw instead of with circular saw
    Clamped the edges of plywood together after gluing, the 550 lbs of weights wasn't enough to keep the corners from curling slightly
    Use 3 sheets of plywood and skip the MDF

Overall I'm very happy with it. It's heavy and solid. The MDF is sitting straight on the hardwood floor and there is no movement at all (I was a little worried it would slide around). When I pulled the DL from the hardwood floor it always felt a little spongy under my heels, pulling on this platform is so much more solid and it feels like I can put more power down to the floor. I haven't dropped the weights on it but when setting down a heavy deadlift I can tell how solid the platform is. Hope this helps anyone in the future looking to build a platform!