starting strength gym

Thread: May I switch to intermediate novice?

Default May I switch to intermediate novice?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started SS LP in February of this year and I'm using the SS App. I am 55, I weigh 170. My work sets are up to: Squat 310, DL 350, BP 175, Press 135, PC 160 and I do weighted Chins @45 lbs, 3 x 7 for 21 total. The increases in weight are down to 2.5 lbs and 5 lbs per workout.

All was fine until friday, five days ago. My squat form was miserable and something popped in my right leg, 3 inches above the knee and about where the outside seam on your blue jean is. I'm not sure what muscle that is, but I stopped immediately. The injury is minor and seems to be healing up nicely, but I am exhausted still. I am resting and sleeping a lot, but the exhaustion is profound. I'm not sick, just tired. I'll get going again soon, but I am going to deload the legs and work back up slowly. I am guessing that my recovery problem is a combination of issues not excluding strength training.

So, my question is, when should I switch to a HLM squat program?
    Also, the app has me alternating DL's with PC's every workout along with doing chins. Is that correct or should the DL be spread out more?
    or do I just keep following the app doing LP?

Thanks

The app is correct, but that program can only work for so long, even for 20 YO testosterone-laden males. And the further you get from being a 20 YO testosterone-laden male, the shorter the period of time (since we're speaking in generalities) the NLP is going to work.

Now, this is a programming question. As such, we generally require that you answer some questions (see the sticky posted at the top of the forum (Before you post: READ THIS_)
    There's a link in there called "necessary info for programming questions" - you've already detailed some of it anyway, you might as well go ahead and do the rest.

Before switching to an intermediate program, we generally try people in what is known as "Advanced novice", where Wednesday is taken as a light day to facilitate better recovery. So weights only go up 2x per week. I'm not terrible familiar with the app, so I don't know if this is covered there, but it IS covered in several of the books. I don't know if you've read any of them - and you should - but the first thing I would do in your case is A) Get with an SSC and make sure there are no form issues, B ) Get a copy of "The Barbell Prescription" (Sullivan and Baker) since it was written for people like you - people who train (in the SS model) over the age of 40. Your recovery needs are different than that of the aforementioned 20 YO, and need to be taken into consideration when choosing programs and when to switch from one program to another. That book discusses all of that at a length that is impossible to do here.