starting strength gym

Thread: Question and another form check

Shahala Guest

Question Question and another form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been lurking for quite a while here reading and viewing video's.
    I started the program previous saturday.
    Here is my squat (password: rippet)
    68 Kg * 5
    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...=Squat1avi.flv

Another set:
    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...=Squat2avi.flv

Dead:
    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=Dead1avi.flv

Since I want to avoid the whip, I studied mine and other videos on the forum and as far as I can see there is no knee forward at the bottom.

I did see the following though:
    Squat - My back angle doesnt set itself in the final position at the first 1/3 of the movement, it takes ~2/3 to set in.
    Seems that my hip drive is lacking abit.
    My thoracic area seems to relax at the bottom in some reps.
    Butt wink.
    Sometimes my back angle is straightening up too early on the ascent - which leads me to belive in lack of hip drive?

Dead- Problems in the descent - too slow/clumsy.
    My hip extending before it should in some reps.
    Not sure about the set position.
    Need to work on my thoracic extension.

I'll appriciate input about those, I bet your eye can see things I don't.

My question is about progression ,
    I'm having difficulties following the program as written - seems that I'm getting stuck too early.
    I'm still advancing and putting some weights on the bar but not as it should be.
    I'll give my press for example:
    first workout: 28*5, 30.5 *4, 28 *5
    2nd: 30.5*3*5
    3rd: 33*5, 33*5, 33*4(failure) - rested 20 secs and completed last rep barely.

And no, my deadlift pants are not for sale.

Your squat looks slow, your eyes are forward, and you need some shoes quite desperately. The lack of hip drive you mention is due to your eye gaze direction and the fact that you are not driving your hips up. Faster would solve some of the problem, because the drive starts right after the bounce and you have no bounce.

Your deadlift took 1:30 for 3 reps. This is agony to watch and inefficient to perform. I don't care if you do it wrong, just do it faster please.

As for your press progression, how much time are you resting between sets?

Shahala Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your squat looks slow, your eyes are forward, and you need some shoes quite desperately. The lack of hip drive you mention is due to your eye gaze direction and the fact that you are not driving your hips up. Faster would solve some of the problem, because the drive starts right after the bounce and you have no bounce.

Your deadlift took 1:30 for 3 reps. This is agony to watch and inefficient to perform. I don't care if you do it wrong, just do it faster please.

As for your press progression, how much time are you resting between sets?
    Did you watch the first squat movie or the second? the second is much better eye gaze wise after the first rep.
    I usually use chuck's when I'm lifting. It's abit hard to find any wl shoes here in Israel.

I'm sorry about the Dl, but I take your reply as "an okay form"?

I rest quite abit, until I feel recovered.

I'd like to see your chin down so that your neck is in line with your back. Look at a spot 5 feet in front of you on the ground. The deadlift form is okay. How long have you been on the program and how much weight have you gained? This will probably tell me why you're getting stuck.

Yes, you can certainly identify a bounce by the way it feels, a tightening in the posterior and an easier drive up when it is done correctly. And your back angle is fine.