starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryans Training Log

Default Ryan's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Figured as I'm in a position to train the most consistently I ever have, it would be a good thing to get more involved with the community and increase my accountability a bit.

So I've ran phases of NLP several times over the last 6 or so years but life/university/work/lack of self control has stopped that each time, however now I'm not travelling for work for at least the next year and I've got myself set up with a rack and bench in my garage so there not much reason not to train now. I've managed to acquire a bit of a gut over the last year or so, with my waist sitting at 45" so my focus for the moment is oriented on getting that below the recommended 40".

Current body stats - 120kg, 178cm, waist 45"
    Eating 2450kcal p220 c195 f90 - Still in the process of tweaking this to find the right amount to drop the gut.

Today completes my 3rd week, and had to move the workouts at the end of the 1st due to work so haven't had two days off for a while so was feeling pretty tired. Plus on Monday I filmed my deadlift and wasn't happy with it (YouTube) so Wednesday I tried to get my hips a little lower in the set up and only pulled 112kg beltless and afterwards my lower back was feeling pretty aggravated. So I was going into this workout feeling pretty bummed and not sure if I was going to be able to squat let alone deadlift, however luckily I took the advice of the guys at Barbell Medicine on pain and warmed up pretty gently focused on a tighter back that I ever have in the squat and it was actually a good session.

All numbers in kg.

Squat
    50 1x5
    77.5 1x3
    105 1x2
    130 3x5 @ 9/9/9

Bench
    30 1x5
    45 1x3
    60 1x2
    75 3x5 @ 9/8.5/8.5

Deadlift
    60 1x5
    85 1x3
    112.5 1x2
    140 1x4 @ 9

Didn't make all reps on the deadlift, I could feel my back loosening during the pulls until it to the 4th rep and then I got scared. But I think it highlights to me that I should probably deload and work on my back tightness. Probably managed to get up to the current weight with that bad form, so should correct.
    Last edited by Ryan Simpson; 05-26-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Working all weekend but feel like I've needed the two days off training, lower back is still a little aggravated though and kinda hoped that would have been cleared up by now. Still gunna train tomorrow though.

Pretty much decided that I am pretty poor at maintaining a tight upper back throughout all the movements, big push on that now. I'll start trying to power clean mid-week now. I've probably tried doing it once about a year ago so going to take some learning.

Meh. Everything was great up until deads. I've taking some weight of the dress to work on form but on the 4th rep... pop pop in my lower back...

Posted the vids on the technique forum Deadlift Form Check - pre and post set up tweak

Squat
    132.5kg 3x5 @ 8/8/8
    OHP
    55kg 3x5 @ 8/8/8
    Deads
    112.5kg 1x4 @7 looking at the vid my form is just bad

Back to the drawing board

Log from 30/05/18

Squat
    135kg 3x5 @ 9/9/9 (Heavy but felt pretty good, was careful warming up with the back tweak but all fine for the top sets)

Bench
    77.5kg 3x5 @ 9.5/9.5/9.5 (HEAVY but got it done, next bench is Monday maybe the last 2.5kg jump maybe less...)

Deads
    60kg 3x5

So on these I was focussing on form and videoing each set, 1 set was as per the norm with a shitty rounded back. The 2nd I narrowed my stance more than ever, felt like that helped get my knees out more and get a little more extension in my lower back. 3rd set I kept with that and it felt like I could get way way more tight, to the point each rep even at that weight I felt like I was going to black out. Again posted vids in the thread above.

Going to keep on with this to get my back good. I figure some bad habits with how I set at my desk haven't helped this. My comfortable position is with the arse towards the front of the seat slumped down in it. So nothing supported my lower back and it sagging into flexion. BAD

01/06/18

Squat
    137.5kg 3x5 @ 9/9/9

OHP
    57.5kg 3x5 @ 9/9/9

DL
    60kg 3x5 (more of the same, could actually seem some real extension in my back now)

04/06/18

Squat
    140kg 3x5 @ 9/9/9 (everything feels like 9s now)

Bench
    80kg 3x5 @8.5/9/9 (felt happy to get another 2.5kg out of this)

DL
    60kg 1x5
    70kg 2x5 (feeling more confident so stepping the weight up now, saw no breakdown in what has been achieved)

06/06/18

In all honesty a pretty good session despite minimal sleep, was woken at 2am to deal with a flood in the apartment. Gotta still train though.

Squat
    142kg 3x5 @ 8.5/8.5/8 (last set I did an accidental rep for 6 in total)

Press
    60kg 3x5 @ 8/8/9

DL
    60kg 1x5
    80kg 2x5

So things are getting close to previous LP PRs I think my best squat is 147.5kg and Press is 65kg, and I feel a hell of a lot stronger than I did previously.

I don't know if its the fact I've had a consistently high protein for the last month or so, or that I started taking creatine but this session was a breeze.

Ramping the DL back up now, feeling better and easier to get position each time.

08/06/18

Tougher session but still not a ball breaker.

Squat
    145kg 3x5 @ 9/9.5/9 (didn't rest enough between 1st and 2nd set, some how misread the clock...)

Bench
    82.5kg 3x5 9.5/9/10 (last rep was a grinder)

DL
    60kg 1x5
    70kg 1x3
    80kg 1x2
    100kg 1x5 @ 7

Getting quite excited to hit 150kg on the squat, I can feel it in me. Bench was pretty tough but think I still have some to go.

DLs felt pretty good, the top set was the quickest I've done in a while, feeling much more confident in my ability to effectively get into position.

Deadlift is flying now man, u'll blast by squat in know time.

11/06/18

Cheers dave, its feeling muuuuch better. Mindful to keep things steady and not get ahead of myself.

Not quite as fresh this morning, after working long hours at the weekend.

Squat
    147.5kg 3x5 @ 9.5/9/9.5 (things got a little good morning'y tried to cue with chest up, didn't look as bad as it felt from videoing myself)

Press
    62.5kg 3x5 @ 9/9/9

Deads
    110kg 1x5 @ 8 (gave it an 8 mainly considering form, I feel as the weight goes up I focus more on just pulling the thing rather than body tightness)

starting strength coach development program
    Uploaded vids.
    Squat - YouTube
    Dead - YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast