starting strength gym

Thread: Cleans and rows?

Default Cleans and rows?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Started SS 3 months ago. I decided to sub the barbell row for the power clean until I got the other lifts into a groove. I feel comfortable with my form on the lifts and have been learning and practicing the power clean with light weight. I'm actually ready to try and fit it in to the program, but want to keep the rows as well. What would be a good way to program both lifts?
    I am lifting for MMA and grappling type training. I'm 37, and I do a good amount of metcon type stuff on top of my SS and MMA. I do the SS faithfully 3 days a week, and train MMA 3 days. I mix in the metcon mostly on MMA days, but sometimes after the SS. I ALWAYS take 1 day completely off per week.
    My SS gains have slowed, but i expected that with all the other stuff that I do. I accept that my recovery is not optimal, but I eat very clean and try to sleep atleast 7.5 - 8 hours. This leads to my next question: should I plan on resets more often because of my schedule? or should I continue the same weights after 2 or 3 workouts being stuck?
    Anyhow, I have been lurking here for some time and would like to thank you for the wealth of information you share here for free on your own time!! Truly awesome.
    I have read SS 3 times now, and every time through more light bulbs come on in my head. I can't imagine how screwed up I might be without it.
    Thanks

Your schedule is SCREAMING for a haircut, and there is no reason to barbell row and clean too, so drop the rows and whatever else you can think of to drop if you insist on maintaining this schedule. Eat more, add some milk, and maybe think about cutting back on the side of the training (MMA or SS) that you have the most discretion over by cutting out one of the workouts. It's going to take longer this way anyway, so you might as well get better control over it yourself.

thank you for the reply. Your answers were what I had expected.
    As for my routine, I know its a bit silly to be doing so much, but i have slowly increased it to what it is now. If I feel crappy or beat up, i skip something or go light. Trying to stay faithful to SS 3 times per week is tough but I do keep with it for the most part. I did get worn out after the initial 5 weeks and dropped back to twice a week, it seemed like my gains slowed with the lost workout. I recently reset all the lifts except the DL, and went back to 3 times per week. Now I am adding weight again with better form at 3 times per week. I imagine things will feel heavy again very soon. When this happens, what should I try:
    1) keep going with same weights and push through with 3 per week?
    2) reset often and keep it @ 3 per week?
    3) lift heavy 2 per week (already had no success here)
    4) your answer here

Regarding the Row and Powerclean question.. is it o.k. to alternate these on B days until the clean catches up ? Or just ditch the row now and focus on cleaning.
    thanks again

You seem to be missing the point here. My program is 3x/week barbell training until the strength gains produced by linear progression are exhausted. That's it, the whole program. Adding a bunch of other stuff in, or even adding a little other stuff in makes it NOT MY PROGRAM, because it fundamentally alters your response to the stress. Do what you want, of course, but it won't be my program if you do it your way.

Thanks, point taken and understood. Obviously,my goals are a little different than what SS is meant for, however it does fit into MY program pretty well.