starting strength gym

Thread: Wide legs while doing press.

Default Wide legs while doing press.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hi mark,

ive brought 1st and 2nd ed of your book, but sadly am in australia (please come here for some training seminar's! brisbane to be precise.

anyway im 6"4 and the power rack at my gym is too short for me to stand how the book describes without hitting the bar on the top of the rack before locking out. there is also no room outside the rack to even power clean it and then press ( ive tried once in a walkway where there was some room but people were getting pissed because its near the water tap).

so as of now i spread my legs to the width of the rack, lock my knees out and press with just enough room to not hit the top of the rack. i was wondering if this is ok, or by doing this am i losing core strength from lower back / abs keeping my steady because my feet literally touch the side of the rack to get enough room.

my membership in the gym doesnt run out for another 6 months so after that il be definitely finding one with a bigger rack / lifting platform so i dont need a rack.

thanks

It is indeed unfortunate when equipment limitations interfere with optimal training. But the exercises do not change form based on the equipment; rather, it is always the equipment that must facilitate the movement. You'll have to get a better gym, and the sooner the better.

<quote>anyway im 6"4 and the power rack at my gym is too short for me to stand <quote>

I have the same issue and I'm about 6 inches shorter, luckily the power racks where I'm at enable you to put the hooks on the outside. not to praise the gym too much they are lacking in certain equipment such as the machine to do back and ham extensions and micro plates.

Brisbane has quite a few gyms, but they are all what we would describe as health spars

Is there such a thing as the ideal gym?

Wichita Falls Athletic Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Wichita Falls Athletic Club.
    -.-

i took your advice and found another gym which i didnt know existed near my house. the final straw at that gym was a guy (who works at the gym) talking about me to another person because i was touching my chest with the barbell while benching. saying " i cant believe people today, he can put himself in serious harm, what if he cant make the rep and hes making it touch his chest" that was said about 5 mins after him asking to spot me and i said nah its ok thanks im fine.

the new gym has a press rack. wewt.

im still awaiting your reply to visit australia haha.

Please describe the flavor of wombat meat, and kangaroo while you're at it. My curiosity about this may be the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Please describe the flavor of wombat meat, and kangaroo while you're at it...
    Have you ever had Taco Bell?

Let the Aussie talk, dammit.

I;ve had roo meat in New York. A good red meat.

starting strength coach development program
    ahh ive never eaten a kangaroo but theres shitloads of them around my parents house, not so many here in brisbane. ive never seen a wombat in the wild before but they doo look plumb and tender, and im sure if you have a car with a tough front you can run one down and cook it up for cheap.

goanna's are plenty around these parts tho and the abbo's love them? oh and possums lots of possums around. if you come this way il make it my duty to buy you kangaroo steak from the butcher down the road? people say it tastes liek chicken.