starting strength gym

Thread: helping/preventing arthritic knee problems

Default helping/preventing arthritic knee problems

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hello coach, hope you can help me with a question.

I got an xray on my leg (motorcycle related, nothing permanent) and the doc noted "early stages" of arthritis in my knee. I'm 33. There's no pain or range of motion problems. I had no idea it was there. I'm not currently being treated for it, but i've setup a ortho consult to see what should be done. I'm worried the answer will be "never squat".

What changes (if anything) would you make for this health fact in your trainees? All I can think of is extra warmups.

Bonus question:
    I've learned something from all of your books. When is the next one due?

Thanks a ton,
    J.

What were the specific indications of "early stage" arthritis? There was an interesting study done shortly after the MRI was developed on a large population of asymptomatic middle age people that showed degenerative changes in the lumbar spine. And I know of an x-ray study done on a large population of horses that showed a very large percentage of asymptomatic navicular disease. The upshot is that lots of people have lots of shit "wrong" with them that never causes any actual problems. Take this into account before you schedule your prophylactic knee replacement.