starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DMA_StartingStrength_Log

Default DMA_StartingStrength_Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Returning to lifting after time off for many (not good) reasons. Intent is to completely reset, make sure my form is locked in before moving back up on the weight. Going to start with the program straight out of the book after finally reading it.

I currently work in Kuwait as a DoD contractor doing IT work. So I end up sitting behind a desk most of the 12hrs/day, 7 days/wk that I work, plus commute time (I live off post). A benefit (aside from the $$$) is I get to eat at the DFAC - so while the meat quality isn't always great, there's always chicken breast and the salad bar is pretty well stocked with tuna, fresh veggies, and fresh fruit, and for ~$15/day, you can't beat the quantity.

My goal is to get stronger, for sure, though I'd be lying if I didn't say that I also want to lose some of the spare tire running around my middle and accumulating on my ass. I'm hoping that just by getting stronger with an LP and then perhaps either 5/3/1 or TM down the road, I can counter a lot of the damage sitting that long has done on my body...I've been working this schedule for over 10 years so I know it's taken its toll.

Goals:
    As for what 'stronger' means to me, I want to be able to press body weight and deadlift 2x BW. I'd like to be able to get to the point where I can do some pull-ups as part of my regular workouts, too. All of this, I believe, will get me to the point where I can keep up with my kids when I go home on R&R and set a better example for them then I have been doing. I don't really have a 'goal weight' per se, but I think 225-250 would be a lot healthier then the 300 I'm currently toting around. So that would put my press up around 250 and about a 500 or so DL as targets. Though I can certainly see where Wendler comes from when he talks about not looking too far ahead and embracing the process...just working the little increments each and every workout vice having the big number in mind. But I digress...

Quick Stats:
    Male, Age 41
    Height: 70"
    Weight: 297 (4 June 2018)

Last workout from last time I started SS, Jan to March 2018; I stalled, missed a couple workouts due to work, then fell completely off the wagon:
    Deadlift: 415x5 reps
    Press: 185x5x2 sets (plus 3 on 3rd set)
    Squat: 285x5x5 (this took me 2 workouts to get to)

But I have never worked with a SSC coach, and I'm pretty sure my form sucks and that's why I always had a sore low back after squats.

Thanks for reading this far if you have.

Dave
    Last edited by David.M.Allen; 06-08-2018 at 03:38 AM.

First workout this morning. I intend to post 'form check' videos here and/or on the FB page.
    Squat: 185x5x3sets
    Press: 135x5x3 sets
    Deadlift: 225x5
    All sets felt really good and comfortable. Will get the gym guy to video my next workout for form checks.

Posting the videos here can be helpful but have you checked out online coaching? There's a special price on it now if money is a question. Check it out.

Thank you for the heads up! I will.

Workout #2, 8 June 2018
    Squat: 195x5x3 (+10 from last time)
    Bench: 135x5x3 (first bench)
    Deads: 245x5 (+20 from last time)
    Intend to go up by 10's on sq for the first 3-4 workouts, then down to 5lbs jumps. Deads +20 each for first 3-4 workouts. Probably stick to 5lb increments on both pressing movements. My shoulders don't feel as limber as they used to.

Back in the saddle...doing a reset and video'd my workout this morning...will post for form checks.
    Got inspired by the "Most Important Lift" article by Tom Bailey; if you haven't read it, highly encourage to: The Most Important Lift of My Life | Tom Bailey

Stats: Male, age 4, 5'10", 285lbs
    'new' Workout #1, 7 August 2018
    Squat: 145 x5x3
    Press: 115 x5x3
    DeadL: 225 x5x3

Workout #2 - 10 Aug
    Squat: 155 x5x3
    Bench: 155 x5x3
    Deadlift: 235 x5

Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Good work!