starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift from check

Default Deadlift from check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey coaches,

I would appreciate feedback on my deadlift. This is the top set from today: 202.5 kg / 446 lbs x 5.
    I should be 91 kg/ 200 lbs.

Thank you.

Lubo

Video

Hi Lubo,

You are losing your lower back tightness right off the floor. Try this: get your chest up as hard as you can. Point your chest at the wall in front of you. You can't really do this, but you can try.
    Feel the weight of the barbell in your hands at 99% of the weight of the barbell. Bend the barbell up with your back extension. Then, keep everything the same, and push the barbell away from the floor with your feet. You are starting with hip extension, not knee extension. Right off the floor you need to extend your knees. Hip extension will come very soon after that. In your deadlifts you are starting it off the floor with hip extension. Knees first, then hips.

It would be good to trim the video next time. You are also taking a long time between reps. It doesn't get any lighter!

Hope that helps.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Karl. I'll get to work. And I'll have a better video ready next time, as well.

Hey Karl / coaches,

Back with another video.
    I tried following your advice about feeling most of the weight in my hands and then pushing it away from the floor. But going over the video, I think it's still mostly hip extension I start with.
    Here's the third set of 5 from yesterday. This is 170 kg / 375 lbs.

Hey Lubo
    You are correct in that you're opening the hips and pulling the bar around your knees rather than pushing the barbell away from the floor with your feet as Karl described.
    You do a pretty good job of getting the back set, and then you lift your chest up as soon as you start.
    Think about Karl's cue as well as staying out over the bar and keeping the torso more horizontal for the first few centimeters it comes off the ground. Shoulders and hips should come up simultaneously at the beginning.
    Good luck!

Thanks Pete.
    I think it will take me a little time to correct this wrong movement pattern. But at least now I know what to look for when watching my videos.
    I'll be back.

starting strength coach development program
    You'll get it.
    Another thing you may try is bringing your eyes closer and fixed on a target about 1-2m away from you.