starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift stalling

Default Deadlift stalling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good day. My deadlift has stalled a bit around 360lbs for 5. I can't seem to keep good from at 365lbs . Going to do a bit of a reset work on my form to avoid injury. Any pointers would be great. Ps. I know I'm wearing straps (work sets only)lol. grip is shit I'm working on it! Thanks
    Here is a couple of angles

YouTube

Your knees seem to be getting in the way of putting the bar down straight. Watch how you have to hook around them (this is easy to see on the side view). This makes it tougher to get the bar in position of subsequent reps. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I believe there is a part on this in the text.

I want to say you open your hips too soon and you need to stay over the bar longer; think “leg press.” I’m not sure about bar position over mid-foot, either. In the top bad angle, it looks forward; in the bottom bad angle it looks behind.

The solution to your grip problems are a mixed grip or preferably a hook grip with chalk.

The solution to running into your knees on the descent is to descend faster and not bend your knees until the bar passes them. This supports my contention that the bar isn’t over mid-foot during your set-up.

What are your answers to the three questions with regard to hitting a stall?

Thanks for the reply! So not sure what you mean by bad angle ? You mean the camera? I do think I try to press the floor away. But I should stay over the bar longer? Is there any good cues for that? Thanks

What does the book instruct you to do when you reach this point?

Chuck the chucks.

Stop breathing while the weight is off of the floor.

You are a strong young man. You will soon be using an intermediate program. Go see a certified SS coach and get advice on what that program may be after he/she sees your lifts.

I'll read the chapter again. Probably missed a few small details. I find the w.l shoes agrivate my knee (old injury). I'm not aware of any coaches in Ottawa Canada. Thanks for the feedback.

When you set your back try to keep your hips up by thinking hips and chest up when setting them. It's pretty subtle but making the lift harder but making your shoulders come back a bit more over the bar and pushing the bar ever so slightly more towards the toes. This exaggerates through the set because of how you unlock the knees and then lower the weight which hooks around the knees and sets down slightly on the toes rather than midfoot. You seem to be pulling from your heels rather than midfoot based on how you set your back.

When unlocking at the top of the lift try unhinging the hips, break knees slightly but don't bend and then letting the weight fall to the floor (keep your grip). The knees will naturally bend when coming down and you might keep the bar over midfoot better.

So hips up with chest up. Keep the weight over midfoot should give me more leg drive? Thanks I'll give that a whirl.

starting strength coach development program
    Check for online coaching. Come down for a camp with Dr. Sullivan in Farmington, Michigan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast