starting strength gym

Thread: Squat disaster series 1

Smile Squat disaster series 1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys, Squats have always been a nightmare for me ever since I got into lifting a couple of months back. I am now 5 weeks into the programme and my form starts breaking down.
    I am standing at 183cm and 73kg. I am consuming at 3400kcal per day.

Problems:

1) Hip Shift
    I have researched on this problem and have started doing the corrective exercises recommended by Squat University (leg glutes bridge to activate those glutes).

2) Barbell Placement
    I have received feedback saying that I am front squatting my back squats and the barbell is placed too high on my back. I looked at Mark Rippetoe's tutorial videos and I've recognised my mistake. However, I realised that placing the bar on my rear delts position feels as though the barbell is going to drop any second. Is it because I am squatting too upright or what?

3) Chest Position
    Mark Rippetoe mentioned that nipples should be pointing to the floor during a squat. Several sources that I've read have also mentioned that the chest should remain as upright as possible. My question is, how do I point my nipples to the floor with my chest being in an upright position?

It would the world to me if you guys can help me identify my mistakes so that I can improve on it!

These videos are taken from 2 different angles. It's quite difficult for me to take from the front because the squat rack is placed in front of a wall.

I welcome all constructive criticism and feedback!

A lot of Rips stuff contradicts other sources. If you try to make the rhetoric of every guru coexist in your head without dissonance, you'll give yourself a migraine and very mediocre results. I would commit to only reading SSBBT 3rd edition for a few months during an LP. Once that's done you'll have much better lifts and a better bullshit filter to run other sources of information through.

With the actual squats, I would start by having you shove your knees out harder and don't go too deep. Your relaxing a little at the bottom and letting the weight shove you down farther than necessary.

KNEES OUT, STAY TIGHT, AND DRIVE HIPS UP AS SOON AS YOU HIT DEPTH.

I can't see the videos (I'm at work), but I would echo what Brian said and do only what is described in SSBBT3. Don't go outside of that scope; SSBBT3 is written with the intent of teaching a rank novice - i.e., someone who has never squatted before in their life - how to squat properly and safely.

Again, I can't see the videos, but regarding your numbered points:

1) Quit doing those drills. Do the drill described in the book: squat down, have someone block your hips, and drive up against them. This is hip drive and this is what matters. You'll quickly notice that bending over and looking down both make doing this drill easier.
    2) The grip is difficult to master. You likely need to narrow your grip and shove your chest out. Look up "Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat" and "The Elbow Problem" articles on this site. Also look for "Squat Grip" on YouTube - Rip has a few excellent videos on the topic.
    3) You can't. You must bend over. Point your nipples to the floor during the descent. Ignore the idea that your back must be upright, this is simply not true. Be sure you can control your lower back position first; again, Rip has some videos on this. Look for them. YouTube: "Lower Back Position Control". Not sure if you're a male, but basically: practice dropping your dick between your knees.

Good luck.