starting strength gym

Thread: Squat technique check

Default Squat technique check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches,

Please review my squat technique. Today was Light Squat day - so this is 175x5. I was supposed to squat 250 on Monday but only managed one rep, so I figured it was a good time to have my technique checked in case that is the issue.

Squat 175x5

Thank you in advance.

P.S. - the lighting in my garage sucks, especially at this angle. I did what I could with my flood light. My apologies in advance if this makes it difficult to see.

Eric,

Your toes look to be pointed out quite a bit more than the baseline recommendation for 30 degrees. Was that intentional? Try narrowing the toe angle to about 30 degrees, and shove them out quicker, so that they're in their final resting place (may they bend in peace) by the time you're halfway down. Right now, they're caving in significantly as you come back up, which is especially worrisome in light of the fact that these are your light squats, but the toe angle change might cure that.

So the steps are:

1: Narrow toe angle into normal range
    2: Get knees out and to their forwardest spot promptly
    3: Keep them shoved out as you come up

Give it a try and post another video.

Thanks a lot Adam. Regarding the toes - yes it was intentional, in the sense that I obviously can't tell the difference between 30 and 45 degrees. I'll have to work on that since I've been using that wider toe stance for what seems like a lifetime.

As far as the knees, are they too far forward or is my timing just off? If they're too far forward, then I must bend over more to hit depth, yes?

I'll work on these steps and post again soon.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 07-03-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: change "regard" to "regarding"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Thanks a lot Adam. Regard the toes - yes it was intentional, in the sense that I obviously can't tell the difference between 30 and 45 degrees. I'll have to work on that since I've been using that wider toe stance for what seems like a lifetime.

As far as the knees, are they too far forward or is my timing just off? If they're too far forward, then I must bend over more to hit depth, yes?

I'll work on these steps and post again soon.
    They're a tad too far forward at the bottom now. You need a little more torso angle. Point your chest at the floor (not straight down, but ahead of you) but do it by changing the angle of the entire torso, not flexing your middle and/or upper back. Rigid but more horizontal.

Heya sir, random guy here with a squat that looks a lot like the guy's in the video here. The cue to "get the knees forward promptly" comes up a lot, and I'm wondering: Do you have a video link to someone who's really nailing this? Just a really clean squat specifically with respect to knee position?

Blessings and thanks;

G

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Heya sir, random guy here with a squat that looks a lot like the guy's in the video here. The cue to "get the knees forward promptly" comes up a lot, and I'm wondering: Do you have a video link to someone who's really nailing this? Just a really clean squat specifically with respect to knee position?
    This one. Dude nails it, I think.