starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting belt question

Default Lifting belt question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I got a belt about 9 months ago - 10mm 4 inch belt double prong XL -> Strength Shop 10mm Double Prong Buckle Belt

Initially, it was a struggle to fasten the belt to the 2nd last hole. The belt felt amazing when squatting and pressing. After a month, it didn't feel as tight as it used to and I could fasten the belt at the last hole. A few weeks later, that felt a bit too loose. I then had to drill extra holes in my belt so that it would be tight enough.

After a few bouts of illness, travelling, illness etc, my training has been very stop-start. I've got back to squatting but my belt is still too loose.

I'm looking for a new belt (from Dick's - as recommended on here). I've a few qs:

- Will the integrity of the belt degrade as quickly as this belt?
    - Should I use a 13mm belt (I'm 6ft 6 and 235lbs w/a 36-38 inch waist - I've started gaining weight again so my weight + waist line will go up)
    - Should I use an L belt instead of an XL belt?
    - I'm in NYC and want to try on a belt before ordering one. Any idea where I can try one on?

Thanks

A key bit of info from your link:

These belts are fantastic quality, made from artificial leather and give excellent support when lifting. Slightly more supple than standard leather belts, they mould to the contours of the back/body whilst providing unsurpassed support and protection to the back when training/lifting.
    None of which means you necessarily have to replace the belt. But recognize that if you do decide to buy another belt, pay attention to how it is made and what it is made of.

Nice kanji by the way. All the Asian powerlifters in CA had one like it. Since I wasn't Asian I embossed the runes for "UP" on my own belt. Seems like the objective.

Belt should be sized so you are towards the middle hole (doesn't need to be exact).

Try to go with a brand that uses full grain leather without extra inserts (a cheap plastic layer is common in cheaper belts). Full grain is the most durable.

I recommend single prong over double. Single is easier to fasten and there aren't any real benefits to double. That being said, if you like double, there isn't technically anything wrong with it.

My belt is by pioneer fitness (general leather craft). I highly recommend it. Its between $75 and $80 depending on size. There are other great brands though, so nothing wrong with shopping around.

The belt i referenced that i have is 10 mm thick and 4 in wide

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Belt should be sized so you are towards the middle hole (doesn't need to be exact).

Try to go with a brand that uses full grain leather without extra inserts (a cheap plastic layer is common in cheaper belts). Full grain is the most durable.

I recommend single prong over double. Single is easier to fasten and there aren't any real benefits to double. That being said, if you like double, there isn't technically anything wrong with it.

My belt is by pioneer fitness (general leather craft). I highly recommend it. Its between $75 and $80 depending on size. There are other great brands though, so nothing wrong with shopping around.
    I second Pioneer (I have 4 of their belts) and the quality is top notch (also own 2 Best belts and they are also top notch. Both of those brands plusa few others will do custom sizing for you at no extra cost so you can have it set at the middle hole. If you are like me and always fluctuating weight, you could look at the Pioneer Cut.

Get a real leather belt that is 4" wide for it's whole length. Those cheap belts that narrow in the front are no good. I don't think that the manufacturers of those belts understand how they work.

The Pioneer is a good belt, I have one for my home gym. The gym at the college where I work has Rogue belts and they are even better by a good bit.