starting strength gym

Thread: Switching to Low bar Squat

Default Switching to Low bar Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I am interested in switching from high bar squats to low bar. I've lifted (on and off) for years, but have always high bar squated. However, I am looking to make the switch now. I'm 5'11 180lbs and currently go 3x5 at 305lbs. My question is this: how much should I lower the weight while making the switch? I have been watching Mr. Rippetoe's videos on form, but I'm unsure where to back the weight off to. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Seth

Can't say definitively, but I can off your my experience:

I had a 1RM of 275 on high-bar when I switched to low-bar. In one session, determined to make the switch, I did this:

1: Sets with the bar to feel the form.
    2: A couple longer sets at 95 (longer = 6+; I don't think any as long as 10 reps)
    3: Short sets at 135, 185, 225
    4: 3 reps at 275.

So my experience was, in a single day, I got my 1RM from highbar up 3x in lowbar immediately. That's what really sold me on low-bar.

If you've got determination and a reasonable base of strength (305lbs sounds like you might), you may be able to make the switch in only 1 workout, if you show up fed and rested.

I understand the question, but think your approach is flawed. Look at what Geoff wrote, that is a much better approach. Get in the gym, do some lighter sets trying to get things dialed in. Filming and reviewing between sets will help. As long as things are going well, keep titrating it up until you reach previous standard. If stuffs break down before then, then backoff to the previous level where it wasn't. If it requires strong volitional effort to do correctly, but isn't breaking down (or only small amount of breakdown), then that is probably about right.

I’ve switched guys over from high Bar to low bar many many times and honestly the main factor is your own natural athleticism and natural feel for the movements under load. If you are a pretty good natural lifter it isn’t going to be that dramatic of a switch for you and you may PR immediately. For others there is a longer adjustment period of several sessions to several weeks before it feels right for you. Other factors would be how long you have been high barring - if it’s many years it may take some time to unlearn high Bar habits that don’t translate to low bar. Your individual body type may also play a role as some guys feel more comfortable in one vs the other

Thanks for the replies. They are much appreciated. I decided to take your guy's advice.

I did my warm up sets with low bar to see how it felt. I ended up doing my working sets of 3x5 at 305lbs with low bar. It felt amazing. I've been high baring for 11ish years, but the low bar felt like it was a more natural movement and it relived a ton of tension on my back. I'm excited to see where I can go with it.