starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orthotic insole for over-supination

Default Orthotic insole for over-supination

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Does anyone have any expenses with these so they work?

I'm hoping this will correct my knee tracking to the outside of my toes when I squat. I do walk on the outside of my feet, so I'm assuming it's a supination issue. I have not been diagnosed officially.

An insole will steal from your deadlifts by creating an imbalance in your stance - namely, it will introduce instability or give under your foot. This is bad, it's a spot that power will literally leak out through. If there's some way you could create a rigid insole with no give, maybe.

I will tell you that I also have extreme supination in my gait, i.e. I walk like a duck on the outside of my feet and I have no issues related to that from deadlifting.

I'd personally say no on the insole unless it was very rigid or built right into the shoe.

Ridgid was what I was hoping for. I was watching an Ask Rip on YouTube and someone asked about it. An orthotic was suggested, but no brand recommendations or anything like that. My issue is mainly just my knee tracking outside of my toes when I squat. Does this happen to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Galioto View Post
    Ridgid was what I was hoping for. I was watching an Ask Rip on YouTube and someone asked about it. An orthotic was suggested, but no brand recommendations or anything like that. My issue is mainly just my knee tracking outside of my toes when I squat. Does this happen to you?
    I'm very obese, my anthropometry isn't a good point of reference for yours. If you have knee concerns during your squat you'd best assess it by taking a recording and posting a form check.

Assuming you can walk without assistance I'd be surprised if your pronation was so bad it'd affect your squat that strongly - barring injury, weakened connective tissue from a disease state, extreme obesity, or some other physical growth deformity.

I am not obese at the moment. I had gastric bypass surgery about 4 years ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Galioto View Post
    If your knees are tracking inside, the problem is the muscles that keep your knees abducted. Not your feet. Keep your knees out when your squat, as discussed in the book.

My knees track outside

My knees track outside outside of my toes unless I consciously put more weight on the inside of my feet, toward the arch. I didn't think much of it until I watched an old "Ask Rip," that had a question asked about it. Then I realized that I might have the same issue as the guy who was asking about it.

Ah. Same problem. Your knees go where the muscles in your hips make them go, not where your insoles want them to. Your stance may be out too much, or you may be exaggerating the "knees-out" cue, which is very common. Either way, your knees and the pelvic muscles, not your feet, direct this angle. Post a video, sorry for the confusion.

starting strength coach development program
    No problem. I finished already today, so I'll get a video on Monday to show you what's going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast