starting strength gym

Thread: Squat abrasions

Default Squat abrasions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm about 4 months into SS, using the book and videos only as I don't have access to a coach.

I've developed a pair of symmetrical abrasions across my back where the barbell rests during the squat and the raw surfaces are making the exercise uncomfortable. Both abrasions are directly over the mid-point of the spines of the scapula so I figured my barbell position must be incorrect, altho I found several posts suggesting it's a fairly common phenomenon.

I looked carefully at some of Rip's videos and it seems that I've not been placing the bar low enough or bringing my elbows high enough; as a result the bar has been resting over the scapular spine rather than the meaty posterior deltoids. Today I corrected my posture, dropped the bar an inch or so and pushed my elbows higher and was able to avoid rubbing the abrasions while I completed my sets.

I'm passing this on for any self-learners who might be experiencing the same problem.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carlton View Post
    I'm about 4 months into SS, using the book and videos only as I don't have access to a coach.

I've developed a pair of symmetrical abrasions across my back where the barbell rests during the squat and the raw surfaces are making the exercise uncomfortable. Both abrasions are directly over the mid-point of the spines of the scapula so I figured my barbell position must be incorrect, altho I found several posts suggesting it's a fairly common phenomenon.

I looked carefully at some of Rip's videos and it seems that I've not been placing the bar low enough or bringing my elbows high enough; as a result the bar has been resting over the scapular spine rather than the meaty posterior deltoids. Today I corrected my posture, dropped the bar an inch or so and pushed my elbows higher and was able to avoid rubbing the abrasions while I completed my sets.

I'm passing this on for any self-learners who might be experiencing the same problem.

Mike
    +1, spot on. Every once in a while I lose my form, good morning a rep and the bar rolls up a bit to chew on the skin on my scapular spine. It is a sharp reminder to clean up my form and get the bar locked down where it's supposed to be.