starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on new bench

Default Advice on new bench

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m considering buying a new bench. I’ve been using an old Walmart bench for years. Should I get a standard flat bench or one that can incline?

In my experience most adjustable benches don't make very good flat benches. I would only take that route if you do a fair amount of incline bench, otherwise go with a good flat bench.

I'm a big fan of the Rep Fitness FB-5000 as a flat bench. 17" height (13 frame and 4 pad). 3 footed design so the feet don't get in the way of your feet. Solid 3x3 construction. Also compatible with the Thompson Fat Pad or Rogue Competition Pad if you ever feel like upgrading, which you won't need to since the pad it comes with is great.

For adjustable benches. Rogue makes a great one with very little pad Gap. Rep makes a good lower cost one. Can't really go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    Rep Fitness FB-5000 as a flat bench. 17" height (13 frame and 4 pad). 3 footed design so the feet don't get in the way of your feet. Solid 3x3 construction. Also compatible with the Thompson Fat Pad or Rogue Competition Pad if you ever feel like upgrading, which you won't need to since the pad it comes with is great.

For adjustable benches. Rogue makes a great one with very little pad Gap. Rep makes a good lower cost one. Can't really go wrong with either.
    Thanks, wsmoran. I’ve always only had a flat bench. The FB-5000 looks like a great bench especially at that price point. I might end up with one.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    In my experience most adjustable benches don't make very good flat benches. I would only take that route if you do a fair amount of incline bench, otherwise go with a good flat bench.

I'm a big fan of the Rep Fitness FB-5000 as a flat bench. 17" height (13 frame and 4 pad). 3 footed design so the feet don't get in the way of your feet. Solid 3x3 construction. Also compatible with the Thompson Fat Pad or Rogue Competition Pad if you ever feel like upgrading, which you won't need to since the pad it comes with is great.

agree, prob the best bench out their right now in that price point

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFours View Post
    agree, prob the best bench out their right now in that price point
    . . . and I went for it. Should be arriving on Friday.

Really like mine! You won’t be sorry.

Hi guys, which one of the adjustable rep fitness benches to you recommend? A lot of money to be saved here compared to rogue, especially if there's nothing to say on quality.

I second flat only. Incline bench press is overrated and not necessary. flat to incline benches are also almost always wobbly, which completely sucks for BOTH flat and incline. If later on, after you have exhausted your LP and are doing intermediate programming, you decide you want to focus on inclines, buy a dedicated incline bench

Quote Originally Posted by VincePIC View Post
    Should be arriving on Friday.
    It arrived today. What a great, solid bench! Thanks for telling me about it, wsmoran. Looking forward to tomorrow’s workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Incline bench press is overrated and not necessary. flat to incline benches are also almost always wobbly, which completely sucks for BOTH flat and incline. If later on, after you have exhausted your LP and are doing intermediate programming, you decide you want to focus on inclines, buy a dedicated incline bench
    My Rogue is rock solid for incline work. It's also expensive too. If you are into aesthetics you may want to include incline benching to build the upper chest. Inclines also help the OH press as well, especially the start of the press which is so important to get the momentum going.

In addition, an incline bench can be used for other exercises besides pressing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast