starting strength gym

Thread: Adidas Powerlift 2 sole softening?

Default Adidas Powerlift 2 sole softening?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is it just me or does anyone else who has worn the Adidas Powerlift 2 shoes felt that the soles get squishier over time? I've had mine about 3 and a half years and by now I don't remember what the soles felt like when I first got them (they were my first pair of actual weightlifting shoes) so I don't know if they are actually getting softer with time, I just feel like I can compress them more with my fingers than before.

IMO those shoes have squishy soles from the get go....

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    IMO those shoes have squishy soles from the get go....
    Yeah, that could well be. I didn't really have a frame of reference when I bought them. Now that I now what 405 feels like, I can see how stiffer would be better. I just can't remember if this is as stiff and compressible the soles were when I first bought them, or if they've softened up. Doesn't really matter, I should probably upgrade regardless.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

I tell everybody who starts out that the Adidas Powerlift shoe is a great entry level shoe but you will likely outgrow it within your first year of training. Faster if you are stronger. The sole is still foam albeit a high density one. Go ahead and spend the money to get a more rigid shoe. You will thank me.

For anybody else reading this considering their first pair of weightlifting shoes go ahead skip the powerlifting unless you simply cannot afford the extra 60-80 bucks to get the better shoe. The powerlift shoe is significantly better than chucks or god forbid barefoot but is so much inferior to a nice pair of Romeloes or Adipowers or just about any other more structured shoes. I have heard good things about the rebook legacy and actually have a pair but they are too small and don't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    I tell everybody who starts out that the Adidas Powerlift shoe is a great entry level shoe but you will likely outgrow it within your first year of training. Faster if you are stronger. The sole is still foam albeit a high density one. Go ahead and spend the money to get a more rigid shoe. You will thank me.

For anybody else reading this considering their first pair of weightlifting shoes go ahead skip the powerlifting unless you simply cannot afford the extra 60-80 bucks to get the better shoe. The powerlift shoe is significantly better than chucks or god forbid barefoot but is so much inferior to a nice pair of Romeloes or Adipowers or just about any other more structured shoes. I have heard good things about the rebook legacy and actually have a pair but they are too small and don't fit.
    I bought the Powerlift when I first started and almost straight away wished I had spent the extra $$. The old Buy nice or Buy twice maxim springs to mind. I stumped up and bought some Romaleos 3 and loved them, then came across the dynamic eleiko website which was listing its Adidas Power Perfect 2's for $43 (since up to $69 which is still as far as I'm aware just about the best deal you can get across the board for quality of shoe vs cost). So I bought myself a pair and one for the wife.