starting strength gym

Thread: DL form check (beginner)

Default DL form check (beginner)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone,

Care to check my deadlift form? I just began starting strength 10 days ago.

6 feet, 70kg.

DL 40kg

Side view : YouTube

Thanks a lot

Please watch the Barbell Logic YouTube video on how to deadlift. You'll notice the first step is setting up with the bar 1" from your shins. You are not doing that.

Most of the rest of the steps stress, "Do not roll the bar", once it is set up over your mid-foot.

The video explains it better than me. The book explains it WAY better than me.

Do not breathe in or out while the weight is off of the floor.

Good start. Keep it up. Also, eat.

Ok thanks for the tips, I'll upload a new video as soon as I can DL again

New DL session today. I put the bar more near my legs.

Now that I watch the video I notice I still roll the bar, must correct that. And maybe the legs and arms were a bit too narrow too + neck too uptight. I was pretty tired afterwards and didn't make a new set. Next time I'll lower the weight so that I can focus on the technique without being too exhausted to add other sets.

DL 50kg -> YouTube

Howdy!

I'd recommend what charlocity2 said. Watch videos, memorize the setup, apply it.

1. Stance. bar 1 inch away from shins. Another way to measure that is it'll be approximately over the knot in your shoelaces. Look from the side. If you look straight on sometimes the angle will trick you.

From this point on you can't move the bar. there is writing on the plates, and watch how much it wiggles around before you pull your first rep. A proper setup will have the words on the plates remain immobile.

2. Grip. Grab the bar just outside legs. don't move bar

3. shins to bar. If you watch your first rep, you never get your shins to the bar during that step, because it started too far away from your shins. ( not mid foot) so you end up dragging the bar back to closer to where it should have been.

4. Chest up hard. The tendency will be to drop your hips here. dont do that! watch the words on the plates. If they move you've incorrectly dropped your hips. Your pulls all have hips too low.

5. Drag the bar up the legs.

If i were you I'd do 5 singles by releasing the bar after each rep. That'll let you practice the setup more until it's ingrained. The weight looks ok to me. Especially if you try singles for a while to hone in on your setup. Too light and you can do whatever you want with the bar which doesn't help you learn.

Again, I'd recommend hammering that setup routine. Words on plates don't move! Video your warm ups too so you can watch for it.

have fun, and sweet "Blue Steel" during your first setup haha

I'm going to add my definitely not a coach observation here as well. In addition to what others have said, it looks like your hips are pretty low and your shoulders are directly over the bar rather than slightly in front of it, especially as your set progresses. Individual anthropometry can lead to different looking set ups for different people, but to my eye you look very close to squatting your deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby_beginner View Post
    New DL session today. I put the bar more near my legs.

Now that I watch the video I notice I still roll the bar, must correct that. And maybe the legs and arms were a bit too narrow too + neck too uptight. I was pretty tired afterwards and didn't make a new set. Next time I'll lower the weight so that I can focus on the technique without being too exhausted to add other sets.

DL 50kg -> YouTube
    Why are you talking about more sets? Or worse, lowering the weight so you can do more sets! The program calls for one set of 5 on deadlifts. I believe you said elsewhere that you haven't gotten around to reading the whole book yet, but the program itself can be written on a napkin (I've actually done this) and is available for free in countless places on the internet, including this website. Your form on the lifts need work, but it's not a train wreck. Your weights are also still light enough that you can work on form while continuing to add weight. Taking weight off the bar so you can perform more sets of deadlifts than prescribed would very much be YNDTFP. DTFP and keep adding weight to the bar! You can work on dialling in your form on your warm-up sets while continuing to get stronger.

I also like murklurker's suggestion of resetting between each rep. I do this sometimes during my own deadlifts sets if I wasn't happy with how my form on the previous rep felt. It only takes me maybe 10 seconds, so I don't feel like it really detracts much from the benefits of pulling a set of five and allows me to focus on getting my back set properly for each rep, something I struggle with and don't want to compromise.

You must eat and eat some more. You look frail. Eating enough is part of the program. How many calories do you consume a day? It should be well over 3000. How many grams of protein? It should be at least 200. Are you tracking those?

Read the book. Check in with a certified SS coach who can help you with all of these matters.

starting strength coach development program
    Carson I know I must eat lol and I do eat more than before. I look frail (my calves especially are naturally lean) but I'm actually skinny-fat, the BIA (Bioelectrical impedance analysis) test at my gym gave me a 12.5% body fat (before I started the program) but I was probably more around 15%.

Haha murklurker you spotted the "Blue Steel" face actually I didn't pay attention when I uploaded else I would have edited. I put attention to your advice and also paid more attention to the bar position today.

Yes DillonS I finally didn't lower the weights, it was a bad idea. Put more weight instead Actually it helps for the form, with lower weights I didn't understand the "bar must always stay in contact to the body" but it just does it naturally when I put more weight.

So 2 days ago I did a 65kg session. But I didn't pay enough attention to the lower back and after the gym it felt pretty weakened. Would you agree that the lower back was rounded in this video?
    Video 65kg-> InShot 20180810 215721414 - YouTube

Today I decided to do just a few reps at 60kg (to give my lower back time to rest from the last session) paying close attention to my lower back (and also tried to put the bar at 1 inch from shins and not to roll the bar like 2 days ago). But unfortunately it looks like this time I overextended the back.
    Video 60kg-> YouTube

Would you say that a neutral back would be between the 2 videos?