starting strength gym

Thread: High Bar Instruction

Default High Bar Instruction

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've scoured SS 3rd Ed. and YouTube seeking instruction from the best strength coach, Mark Rippetoe, on how to properly perform the easier to learn high-bar back squat to no avail. Can anyone link me to any tutorial that exists out there that coach Rippetoe has released that I somehow haven't discovered or an alternate resource of another coach that teaches the movement with the best technique? Thanks.

To respond to your question,from what I’ve read on these board is that Coach Rip doesn’t coutch the lift.

I'm pretty sure Rip would just tell you that you should suck it up and learn to low bar squat. It lets you lift more, engages more muscle, and strengthens your lower back if done correctly. If the one reason that you don't want to learn it is that you think it's easier to learn, you ought to reconsider based on the information available to you and how much you care about getting the most bang for your buck, even if you believe(in my opinion, incorrectly) that it will take longer for you to learn how to low bar squat.

If easier is always better than should we take weight off the bar and lift lighter? But seriously if something with your shoulders or any real limitations pevent someone from safely racking a low bar position on the squat than maybe in some cases a high bar or maybe even leg press may be a temporary fix as someone works towards proper execution of the main squat. I don’t know your situation but maybe , maybe you should do a little reading and there plenty of Starting Strength vidéos for squat instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by rm_sidell View Post
    I've scoured SS 3rd Ed. and YouTube seeking instruction from the best strength coach, Mark Rippetoe, on how to properly perform the easier to learn high-bar back squat to no avail. Can anyone link me to any tutorial that exists out there that coach Rippetoe has released that I somehow haven't discovered or an alternate resource of another coach that teaches the movement with the best technique? Thanks.
    There is a good information on performing the high bar aquat in Dr Sullivan's book Barbell Rx

starting strength coach development program
    Aside from the physical difference in bar position (which in my very limited experience can be a little difficult to dial in at first) and the fact that it makes you slightly more upright, the instruction for the lift really isn't any different from that of the low bar squat. Moderate stance, toes out, maintain balance over mid-foot, etc. all still apply.