starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    215 lbs for 5 reps. Ive been putting 10 lbs on my DL every week since I started about 2 months ago, and it feels like I still have plenty of 10 lb increases to go until I start slowing down. Form feels pretty good to me, but any feedback would be appreciated.

YouTube

You're setting up with your shins a little too far away from the bar. They should be about 1 inch away, and this looks like 3-4 inches. Also your exhaling at the top of the lift. Hold your breath the entire lift and only breathe with the weight on the ground. These errors aren't affecting you too much because the weights still light, but you'll enter a world of pain once it gets heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    You're setting up with your shins a little too far away from the bar. They should be about 1 inch away, and this looks like 3-4 inches. Also your exhaling at the top of the lift. Hold your breath the entire lift and only breathe with the weight on the ground. These errors aren't affecting you too much because the weights still light, but you'll enter a world of pain once it gets heavy.
    Thanks for the advice. Here is an updated video from today's deadlift at 225. I tried to get shins closer and didnt breathe while the weight was off the ground. I am also wearing lifting shoes with a 1" heel. How does this one look?

YouTube

Hey MCH!

You did a better job here of placing the bar closer on step 1 when you set your stance, but you then proceeded to push it forward by dropping your butt after step 3. This effectively undid the correction you made on step 1.

As soon as your shins touch the bar, FREEZE your hips in position. Keep them exactly where they are as you squeeze your chest up. This will likely make the starting position more uncomfortable, but it will also make it more correct Dropping the hips after step 3 is a cardinal sin of deadlifting. Be stubborn and keep those hips in place.

Also, what's the diameter of those plates? Are they the standard 448mm?

Also, is there any way you can get a video from a front 45 degree angle?