starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check - on Week 5 of my NLP

Default Deadlift Form Check - on Week 5 of my NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Below is the Link for my latest work set of my deadlift. The weight is 205 LBS.

Apologies in advance for the distracting pet as well as the bonk she received via barbell.

thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

YouTube

Concentrate on squeezing the bar off the ground as if you were using your lats to slowly bend the bar with your shins. Right now you're jerking the bar off the ground (only slightly).

Hello again!

In addition to Brian's advice about not jerking the bar off the floor, we also want to make sure the bar is over mid foot to begin with. Set-up about ~.5" closer to the bar than you did here. There should only be ONE INCH between your shins and the barbell when you set your stance. This will lead to your hips being a little higher than they were in this video, but that's totally fine.

After that you just have to proceed with the set-up as normal. Making sure to NOT drop your hips when you squeeze your chest up on step 4. You're going to want to drop them, but you won't because you have supreme self control

BTW, distracting pets are welcome in all form check videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Hello again!

In addition to Brian's advice about not jerking the bar off the floor, we also want to make sure the bar is over mid foot to begin with. Set-up about ~.5" closer to the bar than you did here. There should only be ONE INCH between your shins and the barbell when you set your stance. This will lead to your hips being a little higher than they were in this video, but that's totally fine.

After that you just have to proceed with the set-up as normal. Making sure to NOT drop your hips when you squeeze your chest up on step 4. You're going to want to drop them, but you won't because you have supreme self control
    Brian and Caleb, Thanks to both of you for your input. i will apply these to my training and load another video once i feel i have corrected the form.

Caleb, when i prevent the hip drop, the bar starts to come off the ground before my back is set (at least that is my perception) Is it ok to break bar off of the ground prior to back being fully set? or do i need to widen my stance to allow room for the belly and hence ability to bend over more horizontal to achieve the set back prior to the weight leaving the ground? or will the mobility come in a few more weeks as i continue to adapt to the lifts?

Don't want to step on Caleb's toes since you asked him, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that letting the bar break the floor without a set back is one of the bigger deadlift no-no's. I'll leave any form tips to him.

Mobility will probably improve with time, but the weight will also go up. You look like a pretty big guy, so 205 is still pretty light. As the weight gets heavier, setting your back with higher hips might pull the slack out of the bar (a good thing) but you won't be able to break the floor until your back is set and you initiate the pull in earnest (a good thing). Basically, a heavier barbell will give you something more substantial to pull against as you squeeze yourself into position.

My $0.02 at least!

Quote Originally Posted by D_Hill View Post

Caleb, when i prevent the hip drop, the bar starts to come off the ground before my back is set (at least that is my perception) Is it ok to break bar off of the ground prior to back being fully set? or do i need to widen my stance to allow room for the belly and hence ability to bend over more horizontal to achieve the set back prior to the weight leaving the ground? or will the mobility come in a few more weeks as i continue to adapt to the lifts?
    Sure thing man!

Are you saying the plates break off the floor when you squeeze your chest up? If so, this is usually an indication that the weight is just light and it's not a big deal. Like Dillon said, a heavier weight you'll be able to pull the slack out without this happening. I'd have to see a video to confirm though.

Also, what is the diameter of those plates you have there? The look small, but maybe you're just yuge...

Do not breathe with the weight off of the floor. You lose all of your valsalva. Do you have the books? Keep hips up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Do not breathe with the weight off of the floor. You lose all of your valsalva. Do you have the books? Keep hips up.
    thanks for the input, Just got the book last week, so i am still working through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Also, what is the diameter of those plates you have there? The look small, but maybe you're just yuge...
    6'1" 250 lbs

Also measured the plates last night........only 15.5" on the 45lb plate. Thanks for getting me to check, i likely would never have measured them. Proper sized plates will bring the bar up 1", that should help a bit..... looks like ill be browsing the classifieds this weekend to find a pair or two of proper sized plates.