starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - Week 5 of NLP

Default Squat Form Check - Week 5 of NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Below is the link to my 2nd and 3rd work set of my Squat from Sunday.
    2nd - YouTube
    3rd - YouTube

I watched the 2nd set realized depth was not quite there, attempted to achieve depth on 3rd work set, but still looks like more depth is needed....Please critique.

Depth is borderline on the 3rd work set, so I'd add another inch or 2 to make it more convincing. I'd like to see you leaning over a little more earlier in the lift. Focus more on bringing your butt back instead of down during the descent. Also you're abandoning the hip drive and raising your chest a little early during the ascent; only think about driving your butt up the whole way up.

And your wrists are bent when we want them straight. I'd recommend the Paul Horn stretch during the warm up sets to help get the wrists and shoulders in position:

Hi D_Hill!

Welcome to the forum sir.

These are a great start. To reiterate what Brian said, let's make our first priority here hitting consistent depth. Right now the cadence of your descent is all over the place and this is preventing you from feeling where correct depth actually is.

Next workout focus on going a little slower than you want to on the way down. Instead of "dropping" yourself into the bottom, take a giant breath and lower yourself under control. Think, "slow on the way down, fast on the way up!" This will give you time to actually feel where your body is in space.

If you post another form check, shoot the video a little more to the rear. Just enough that I can see you knee and entire thigh at the bottom.

Keep it up man!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    Depth is borderline on the 3rd work set, so I'd add another inch or 2 to make it more convincing. I'd like to see you leaning over a little more earlier in the lift. Focus more on bringing your butt back instead of down during the descent. Also you're abandoning the hip drive and raising your chest a little early during the ascent; only think about driving your butt up the whole way up.
    Thanks for the input, i have a lot of adjustments to make. i will post a new form check once i think i have adjusted most of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Hi D_Hill!

Next workout focus on going a little slower than you want to on the way down. Instead of "dropping" yourself into the bottom, take a giant breath and lower yourself under control. Think, "slow on the way down, fast on the way up!" This will give you time to actually feel where your body is in space.
    I will work on this. i started the program with a slower eccentric movement, but thought i was going to slow to use the reflex off the bottom. (I was also pausing at the bottom on some reps) it seems i went to the other extreme. i will post another form check next week.

I will also attempt to get a better angle on my next video. my rack is in a single car garage (11'x19'). just using my phone for now, i am looking at purchasing a tripod and an inexpensive camcorder so i can get the proper angles (and the likelihood of signing up for SSOC in the next few months once funds allow). but that's money i would rather spend on driving to Reno or Boulder for an in person SSC session. (Live in Salt Lake City and cant believe the closest SSC is an 8 hrs drive, oh well)

starting strength coach development program
    Cool. Yeah, pausing is no bueno on the other end. Don't go too slow, but select a speed which you can be in total control of the ROM.

That's awesome man. Definitely spend the money on coaching. Both Adam (Reno) and Jayson (Boulder) will hook you up. Coincidentally, they are also both coaches at SSOC!