starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello there! I am a 5'7" female weighing 160 lbs. I finished my novice progression in April and have been doing intermediate programs (the bridge, then HLM). Squats have been going okay, but I am noticing some form problems and would love feedback. From the video, I noticed some knee slide at the bottom of the reps and maybe losing some tightness at the bottom as well.

This is 185lbs x4 for my top set.

Hey mwicken!

Ya it looks like your knees continue moving forward throughout the entire motion. You definitely want to get those knees and back angle set in the top 1/3 of the squat. Then while keeping your knees rigid, think about sitting back and down. Does it feel like you're coming up on your toes a little bit at the bottom?

Hi~

Nice work with your squat! Love it when I see a fellow female easily squatting over her body weight!

You do have a couple of issues here though. Can you film a rear 45 for us to see? I can almost guess that your knees are not getting out far enough by the angle of your thighs in this picture, but this camera angle is not the exact best to see it. You do have knee slide- but I am thinking your stance and knee out position may need adjusted too. Also- make sure you are in total command of your descent and don't let yourself crash into the bottom. Sometimes knee slide happens by just taking the descent too fast. You did better setting your knees in the latter reps- but it would be good to check out your knees there too...

Post the rear view and lets take a look!

How long have you been doing HLM?

Thank you for the great feedback! I will definitely try taking another video from a better angle. The bars on the squat rack at my gym make it hard to see the squat from a rear 45 angle, but I will try.

And yes, I can definitely see now that it doesn't look like I am in control on the way down. I will work on slowing down on the way to the bottom!

I have been doing HLM for about two weeks now and am really liking it so far. The bridge was great too, but I think being an early intermediate I struggled with getting a good feel for RPE.

Anyways, I will post another video soon with a better angle. Thanks again!