starting strength gym

Thread: Lowbar Squat technique check

Default Lowbar Squat technique check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all

So far, I have always done high bar squats. I figured I should learn low bar squats, and I'm not sure whether I'm doing them correctly. Is my back in a correct position, or am I going to hurt myself?

YouTube

I'm doing the texas method, this is the intensity day, 1 set of 5 rep max, 117,5 kg (259 lbs) loaded.

My deadlift is currently 112,5 kg (248lbs) because I foolishly reduced its load over incorrect technique concerns.

Thanks for any input.

You are not doing them correctly.

The bar is too high on your back. Your wrists are extended and thumbs around the bar. You are looking straight forward. Your back angle is too vertical. Stance looks very narrow. You never stand up straight at lockout.

Bar sits below the spine of the scapula. Thumbs over the bar. Chest up, stand up straight. Feet at shoulder width, toes turned out 30 degrees or so. Break hips and knees, look down about 4-6 feet on the floor in front of you. Lean over, shove knees out and keep them there. Sit back with your butt to depth. Don’t stop at the bottom and drive your butt up vertically.

Do you have SSBBT3? I’d start with the teaching method for the squat in the book. Are you located in the vicinity of a SSC?

Also, TM for those numbers are suspicious; but, that’s a separate issue.