starting strength gym

Thread: Is there a quick list of mistakes that tend to cause injury?

Question Is there a quick list of mistakes that tend to cause injury?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK - I'm a total noob. I've read SS and I'm reading The Barbell Prescription (I figure PP can wait). I've been doing the four main lifts on my own for 3-4 weeks, but have not seen a SSC, and my weights aren't truly challenging yet (I started at low weight, and I'm progressing slower than recommended to try and stay safe).

My biggest concern, of course, is getting injured due to poor form. I know without a coach my form is bad - it just has to be, but I want to hone in on the stuff that is most likely to get me hurt. If I'm doing something wrong that means I use the wrong muscles or lift less weight, that's secondary - I'll work on it later.

The big one mentioned in the book is shoulder impingement on the bench press. I'm trying to avoid that as recommended by aiming lower on the chest than I probably should, but my shoulders have started aching after the bench, which worries me since it isn't a shoulder exercise. It doesn't feel like the sawing described in the book, and doesn't seem to be coming from the area of the scapula - it's more the outside of the shoulder than the back, and feels tight when I do a press-like motion (even though I haven't pressed in nearly a week).

My question is, what would a "minor" shoulder impingement injury feel like? Where would it hurt? Sharp pain or dull ache?

Also, what are the other common form mistakes that result in injury, the stuff that I need *really* watch out for? Is there an article on this? I'm trying to be cautious here...

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post

My biggest concern, of course, is getting injured due to poor form. I know without a coach my form is bad - it just has to be, but I want to hone in on the stuff that is most likely to get me hurt. If I'm doing something wrong that means I use the wrong muscles or lift less weight, that's secondary - I'll work on it later.

The big one mentioned in the book is shoulder impingement on the bench press. ...
    Also, what are the other common form mistakes that result in injury, the stuff that I need *really* watch out for? Is there an article on this? I'm trying to be cautious here...

-->Adam
    Slightly off the cuff, here's my train of thought:

First off, do not drop a weight on your foot. The casual chain between action and trauma is short enough here that I should not have to belabor the point.

Secondly, you're statistically more likely to get injured playing a generic sport. Oh well, go have fun anyway.

Weight room injuries per se will be less clear cut -- some people can do everything wrong and not get injured.

You could pick an unreasonably large weight on the bar for you that day. You could fail to warm up adequately.

Mechanically, you could fail to keep your spine neutral during the lift (if only SS:BBT had a helpful index in the back of the book where I could look up "spine"... oh, wait, it does!) You could have the weight take you to a range of motion you have not strengthened. You already mentioned shoulder impingement due to improper pressing. You could get killed under the bench press by not executing safety plan A and lacking safety plan B.

You could do nothing wrong and get a tweak. Lift anyway. This is life and there is no risk-free option.

Have you seen the Barbell Logic videos on YouTube? They do a great job of teaching the lifts. That would be the best place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by samking7185 View Post
    Have you seen the Barbell Logic videos on YouTube? They do a great job of teaching the lifts. That would be the best place to start.
    +1 the BBL videos are awesome. I would also recommend to video your sets (if you aren't already). What you feel your body is doing and what it is actually doing can be two very different things.

A recent BBL podcast (#92) also addressed safety.

(I meant "causal chain" above, not casual. Yes, it's less witty when you have to correct your autocorrect.)

Haven't done the BBL Logic videos yet, but I'll check out #92 as suggested. I'm still working through the Mark's videos on the main site and The Barbell Prescription.
    -->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by JD Keip View Post
    A recent BBL podcast (#92) also addressed safety.
    That was really useful! I was trying to figure out how to use the spotter arms on the bench and get full ROM. I was setting them too high, just above my chest, staying safe but not getting full ROM.

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by JD Keip View Post
    Slightly off the cuff, here's my train of thought:

First off, do not drop a weight on your foot. The casual chain between action and trauma is short enough here that I should not have to belabor the point.

Secondly, you're statistically more likely to get injured playing a generic sport. Oh well, go have fun anyway.

Weight room injuries per se will be less clear cut -- some people can do everything wrong and not get injured.

You could pick an unreasonably large weight on the bar for you that day. You could fail to warm up adequately.

Mechanically, you could fail to keep your spine neutral during the lift (if only SS:BBT had a helpful index in the back of the book where I could look up "spine"... oh, wait, it does!) You could have the weight take you to a range of motion you have not strengthened. You already mentioned shoulder impingement due to improper pressing. You could get killed under the bench press by not executing safety plan A and lacking safety plan B.

You could do nothing wrong and get a tweak. Lift anyway. This is life and there is no risk-free option.
    This is one of the singularly best posts on this board in quite some time.

Focusing on a thing is a very good way of making sure that that thing happens.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This is one of the singularly best posts on this board in quite some time.
    Thank you, Will. Glad I can contribute to a place which has improved my lifters and myself.