starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - noob

Default Squat form check - noob

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After messing around in the gym for a few months I discovered SS. So, I've read the book (probs not enough times) and am aiming for good form. I clearly don't have it yet, as the following videos show. The warmup weight is probably much better than the working set. Age 54, height 6'2", 194lbs, mostly play football (soccer).

I think I need to get myself lower and get my ass out more. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Warmup

Working set

Hey, welcome to SS.
    It's really tough to see much due to your camera angle. Please read and follow the "sticky" recommendations for filming form checks.

If I could see better I could check your stance, your bar placement, which I suspect are too narrow and too high, respectively, but...

Try again and come on back.

Keep on working!

Better camera angles would be helpful, but I'll take a stab.

It does indeed look like the bar is a bit high and the stance a bit narrow. Maybe toes pointed a little too straight ahead too. Again, hard to tell from the camera angle, but it looks like your knees may be collapsing in. Focus on shoving them out hard on the way down, and keeping them there on the way back up. Your back tightness also seems inconsistent. On some reps it looks like your upper back is collapsing in the bottom position, and sometimes your lower back is rounding on the way back up. Really focus on a proper Valsalva and maintaining control of your whole spine. On some reps it also looks like your butt (and your knees along with it) moves backwards before moving upwards. Drive your butt straight up out of the hole. Some of your squats looked a bit high, and on the ones that seemed to hit depth there was a bit of forward knee slide. Reach back with your butt and knees out!

The last thing I noticed (and again, the camera angle may be deceptive here), is that you seem to be walking the weight out a bit oddly. It's more pronounced in the warmup video. It's like you don't actually start from a full standing position. You're walking the weight out on flexed knees, and don't stand up all the way straight before the first rep. The more time you spend like that, the more energy you're wasting. A weight is easiest to support in a locked out position because your stacked skeleton is handling the load instead of your muscles. It's kind of like you're currently walking the weight out in a quarter squat and hanging out there for a few seconds before you start your set, which is just a waste of energy.

Anyways, I'll slap the obligatory I'm not-a-coach and sub-optimal camera angle disclaimers on my comments. Keep at it, and come back with some better video!