starting strength gym

Thread: Follow-up squat form check

Default Follow-up squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear coaches,

I am on the 12th week of LP and would very much appreciate a follow-up form check, Coach Schudt gave some initial pointers in this earlier thread:

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...orm-check.html

I have reset the squat once and am now following the advanced novice progression with a light squat on Wednesday. I've also moved to top set of 5 + two back-off sets. The first video is a top set 5x142,5 kg (317 lbs) and the second video is the second back-off with 135 kg (300 lbs)

YouTube

YouTube

Thank you for your time and comments!

I think that you could benefit by narrowing your stance a bit (say an inch - 2.54mm in non-freedom units ) and getting your heels closer together, and then doing a better job of keeping your knees out - you're getting them out, but they are caving in on most reps (see esp rep 1/2) and on some of the reps you're having trouble getting them out. So, narrower stance, heels in more, knees out more, KEEP THEM OUT on the way up. Hard to judge depth from this angle / distance / height but they look ok.

Hi Steve, thank you for the comments! I had a hunch that the stance might be a tad wide, I'll narrow it and concentrate on keeping the knees out better. Other than these, I assume hip drive, foot angle and bar placement are ok?
    This is pretty much the best angle for filming in that rack. There's the platform in the background of course but without the safeties. The gym has another rack but then I would need to film 45° from the front. For possible future form checks, would that be acceptable, or at least better than the above vids?

Hello Steve, this is my light squat from yesterday, does the stance width look better? Should I turn the feet out more? To my untrained eye the knees stay out better.
    Grateful again for any advice.

YouTube

Stance width looks good. Just be sure to stay with your hips -- don't try to lift your chest, even a little kills your bar speed.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you sir!