starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am looking for some feedback on my squat form. Particularly in regard to my stance. When watching the video a few times I noticed my heels caving in causing me to be slightly forward. I did not feel this happening during the set. I am curious if my stance is too wide or toes are pointed beyond 30 degrees. In a previous form check I was instructed to narrow my stance about an inch, which I feel like I have done. Any other form critiques are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Squat Weight: 190 lbs

Most of your problems are knee related. We want them to be in position 1/2 of the way down and to stay there. Yours are sliding forward throughout the entire descent, and caving in on the way up. I can't tell if the stance width is causing this, but I would concentrate on KNEES OUT and BUTT BACK. If that doesn't work, move the stance in an inch and try the TUBOW drill. Also, pin your elbows to your sides. They're a little too high.

Thanks, Brian! The footage from this training session is about a week ago and I feel like I've begun to correct my knee (it's usually my right knee) from caving in. My brother keeps cueing me to make sure my knees don't cave. Thanks again for the form check.

Also, I checked out your training log. Keep up the good work man!

Brian's got some of this covered, but you could bring your heels in about an inch. Look when you pause the video at the bottom of your first rep, your feet are kind of outside your knees. We want the knees in line with the toes.

You also need to get your back tighter. Puff your chest out like you're Superman and squeeze that low back.