starting strength gym

Thread: Box squat form check

Default Box squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,
    Quick background:
    Used to squat years ago, did LP and some intermediate programming then got patellar tendonitis(I think, the front of my knees hurt a lot) on both knees. Every time I start squatting again I just reach a certain point where the knee pain becomes unbearable. When I lay off, the pain lessens but the tendons never heal, as they hurt when I press them with my hands.
    Now I just restarted squatting a week ago, and am giving box squats a shot as they're supposedly easier on the knees. Here is a video of me doing them:

I'm planning on buying knee wraps as well, any advice on my technique and on keeping my knees healthy is welcome

Hi Mirat!

Bummer about the knees man. This is a pretty common issue with certain form errors though. Do you have a video of you doing some regular squats? This will likely provide us some insight as to why you were running into knee problems.

Also, do you own a pair of lifting shoes?

Here is a video of me squatting a few months ago.

I can notice that my knees go forward a lot more than in the box squat.
    I used to squat in weightlifting shoes (with elevated heels), I think they might have contributed to developing patellar tendonitis.

If my knees ever get sore it serves as I reminder that I let them slide forward instead of out. A properly done SS squat (if I understand the mehanics correctly) gets stress into the hips and back muscles when you get leaned over with your knees out and your butt back. If you’re too vertical and leading with your chest instead of your hips all that pressure goes into your knees instead. Also search for the tendonopathy thread I believe in Rip’s Q&A from a few months ago, it suggests rest isn’t a cure for tendinitis. Good luck!