starting strength gym

Thread: Novice Form Check | Squat / Press / Deadlift

Default Novice Form Check | Squat / Press / Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I'm about one month into novice LP. The links here are from my 14th workout (08.25.18)

Squat: 180 lbs video link
    Press: 60 lbs video link
    Deadlift: 220 lbs video link

I have struggled tremendously with the press. I failed multiple times at 75 lbs, and deloaded to 60 for this past session. I feel I've improved the "hips forward" movement, but it still looks funky in the videos. Lotta lumbar?
    I had a form assessment with Starting Strength coach Josh Wells last week (08.18.18). More details on tweaks from that session in my log thread (JR | Novice Log ).

The past three sessions, I've experienced sharp pain around the rhomboids while squatting. I've had rhomboid strain issues in the past. Anything in my form that is exacerbating this problem? Any suggestions?
    Also, the squat has become difficult to the point that bar speed looks incredibly slow in the videos. Thoughts?

Apologies for people walking in front of the camera. The gym is pretty much a large hallway, so videoing the workouts on Saturdays becomes interesting. On the deadlift, I usually shoot from 4 o'clock to get a better full body shot; not an option yesterday.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

For starters, weigh 200 lbs. With that out of the way:

1. Squat- Commit to driving the hips up more. I think that's why you have a little sticking point half way up. Also focus on the master cue, you're a little off balance during a few reps, and you're having to do a lot more work to correct it. So in summary: MID FOOT and HIPS UP all the way to lockout.
    2. Press- You'll need a more aggressive hip thrust. Brace your quads and abs, and drive your butt forward harder. Also put the bar lower in the palm of your hand so that it's over your forearms with straighter wrists. It looks like you have some unnecessary slack. Punch the ceiling with bad intentions! Weight gain helps the press tremendously.
    3. Deadlift- Look at the logos on the plates. The bar is rolling forward throughout the set. Don't let that happen.

Just to add to what Brian said, look at how high your hips are on your first deadlift and how much they've dropped by the last rep. Probably because the bar is moving forwards on you and you're trying to bring your shins further and further forwards by dropping your hips.

Hey j.r.!

If we make a couple adjustments to your starting position and timing, these presses will move much better.

Right now, you're just relaxing and letting the bar rest on you at the bottom of each rep. Lift your elbows up and forward just a hair more in the starting position. This will place the tips of your elbows just in front of the bar and will also cause the bar to float about an inch or so above your chest an collarbone. This is totally fine and will in fact help you feel this timing a whole lot better.

Once your start position is fixed, go ahead and run through this simple 3 step teaching progression that we use to teach lifters how to time their press:

Putting together the forward hip punch with the downward dip of the bar is key here.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sloan View Post
    For starters, weigh 200 lbs. With that out of the way:

1. Squat- Commit to driving the hips up more. I think that's why you have a little sticking point half way up. Also focus on the master cue, you're a little off balance during a few reps, and you're having to do a lot more work to correct it. So in summary: MID FOOT and HIPS UP all the way to lockout.
    2. Press- You'll need a more aggressive hip thrust. Brace your quads and abs, and drive your butt forward harder. Also put the bar lower in the palm of your hand so that it's over your forearms with straighter wrists. It looks like you have some unnecessary slack. Punch the ceiling with bad intentions! Weight gain helps the press tremendously.
    3. Deadlift- Look at the logos on the plates. The bar is rolling forward throughout the set. Don't let that happen.
    Thanks, Brian. Haha, preparing for GOMAD. Was looking over these comments before my last workout. Focusing on the master cue helped me maintain my balance. Trying to diagnose my weak hip drive. May be that my knees are caving some when the weight gets heavy. Practiced my press with your tips in mind as well. Gotta keep these wrists straight! Great point on the deadlift. Last session, I faced away from the mirror and made sure to feel that the hips were in position before each rep. Much better results. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DillonS View Post
    Just to add to what Brian said, look at how high your hips are on your first deadlift and how much they've dropped by the last rep. Probably because the bar is moving forwards on you and you're trying to bring your shins further and further forwards by dropping your hips.
    Thank you, Dillon. Yes, I was trying to keep the bar in contact with the same spot on the shins before each pull. Took my mind off of the hips. Working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    Hey j.r.!

If we make a couple adjustments to your starting position and timing, these presses will move much better.

Right now, you're just relaxing and letting the bar rest on you at the bottom of each rep. Lift your elbows up and forward just a hair more in the starting position. This will place the tips of your elbows just in front of the bar and will also cause the bar to float about an inch or so above your chest an collarbone. This is totally fine and will in fact help you feel this timing a whole lot better.

Once your start position is fixed, go ahead and run through this simple 3 step teaching progression that we use to teach lifters how to time their press:

Putting together the forward hip punch with the downward dip of the bar is key here.

Let us know if you have any more questions!
    Thank you much, Caleb! Practiced this after my last session (no weight as it was a bench day). Was not familiar with the recommendation of actively dipping to the chest as a part of the hips forward. Seemed effective! I was advised by Josh to try breaking down the hip punch and press up into two distinct motions for a few sessions. Do you find this effective, or is it better, in your experience, to put it together from the start?

Quote Originally Posted by j.r. View Post

Thank you much, Caleb! Practiced this after my last session (no weight as it was a bench day). Was not familiar with the recommendation of actively dipping to the chest as a part of the hips forward. Seemed effective! I was advised by Josh to try breaking down the hip punch and press up into two distinct motions for a few sessions. Do you find this effective, or is it better, in your experience, to put it together from the start?
    You're very welcome! Most people over look that part and just try to let it be a passive part of the hip movement. It should be very intentional.

If you are trying to do press 2.0 I find it better just to put it together from the start. I would only break it into two parts if you're trying to strict press.

starting strength coach development program
    Latest session. Any advice is welcome.

Squat 200 lbs Set 3/3
    Press 67.5 lbs Set 3/3
    Deadlift 240 lbs Set 1/1

Read through Coach Rippetoe's article "Squat Mechanics: A Clarification" today. I think my main fault is allowing the knees to slide throughout the descent. Through the whole set, I had in my mind to set the knees and stay in the hips, but the video does not reflect that at all. Squat shoes certainly feel more stable, but I feel like the heel reinforces my tendency to end up forward of midfoot coming out of the bottom. Any tips on this?

Two things to aid squat correction tomorrow:
    1. TUBOW
    2. First day with a belt

Press form feel much more stable. Thank you again to Coach Krieg for the advice and how-to video. Six reps in the video; lost low back tightness on one. Hip punch feels more forceful, but still looks weak. Agree?

I've felt confident in my deadlift until this past session. Anyone else have this much trouble on the eccentric? I see that the upper back looks a little suspicious on the pull, but my entire body is rocking on the way down.

Green light to add weight on squat and deadlift tomorrow?