starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check: Squat and Deadlift

Default Form Check: Squat and Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could please check my squat and deadlift form.

Here are two videos of my 2nd and 3rd squat set:

YouTube
    YouTube

Here is my deadlift set. I was trying to go for 5 reps, but I felt my back rounding on my 3rd rep and so I stopped.

YouTube

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

You're off to a good start man. How long have you been running your LP for?

Squat
    So you are making the classic error here of squatting too upright. Effectively "high bar squatting" with the bar in the low bar position. Make your primary focus leaning over more next workout. Point your nipples at the floor and keep them there the whole way to the bottom. This will put you in a much better position to take advantage of that hip drahve that everyone is always going on about.

Deadlift
    The biggest mistake you made here was bumping the bar forward of it's original position when you squeezed your chest up. You need to freeze your hips into position after dropping your shins to the bar. Then keep them there as you squeeze your chest up. If you do this, the bar won't roll forward on you. Make sure these steps stay completely distinct so you can better feel this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    You're off to a good start man. How long have you been running your LP for?
    Thanks Caleb! I've been doing LP for 4 weeks now. I've gained 10 pounds, and my lifts have got to: Squat 97.5 kg, DL 115 kg, Bench 60 kg, Press 40 kg, and PC 60 kg.

I failed on my first attempt at 62.5kg bench the other day. All the lifts are starting to feel pretty difficult . I'm probably not eating enough, but I'm doing my best!

Squat
    So you are making the classic error here of squatting too upright. Effectively "high bar squatting" with the bar in the low bar position. Make your primary focus leaning over more next workout. Point your nipples at the floor and keep them there the whole way to the bottom. This will put you in a much better position to take advantage of that hip drahve that everyone is always going on about.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess my hips will have to move back further to keep the bar over the middle of my foot. I'll give it a try. Should I de-load or just keep going?

Deadlift
    The biggest mistake you made here was bumping the bar forward of it's original position when you squeezed your chest up. You need to freeze your hips into position after dropping your shins to the bar. Then keep them there as you squeeze your chest up. If you do this, the bar won't roll forward on you. Make sure these steps stay completely distinct so you can better feel this.
    Thanks, I'll try and focus on keeping the steps distinct.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Cheers,
    Jeff

One thing you'll notice on your squat on the video there is a wonderful vertical line on the wall to compare your bar path with. You'll notice how your bar path has a curve instead of a straight line. Make that line straight. The only way to do that is to fix the back angle. FWIW I have the same tendencies with the low bar squat.

If you're struggling with bench you might consider videoing that too. Accepting input is the way I've avoided injuries from weightlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by lsiberian View Post
    One thing you'll notice on your squat on the video there is a wonderful vertical line on the wall to compare your bar path with. You'll notice how your bar path has a curve instead of a straight line. Make that line straight. The only way to do that is to fix the back angle. FWIW I have the same tendencies with the low bar squat.
    Thanks lsiberian! Wow are you ever right about the bar moving relative to the vertical line.

If you're struggling with bench you might consider videoing that too. Accepting input is the way I've avoided injuries from weightlifting.
    I'm doing bench press tomorrow so I'll post a video here once I'm done.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff100 View Post
    Thanks Caleb! I've been doing LP for 4 weeks now. I've gained 10 pounds, and my lifts have got to: Squat 97.5 kg, DL 115 kg, Bench 60 kg, Press 40 kg, and PC 60 kg.

I failed on my first attempt at 62.5kg bench the other day. All the lifts are starting to feel pretty difficult . I'm probably not eating enough, but I'm doing my best!
    That's awesome Jeff! What increment jumps are you making on your lifts?

Thanks for the advice. I guess my hips will have to move back further to keep the bar over the middle of my foot. I'll give it a try. Should I de-load or just keep going?
    Bingo. Nah, you don't need to deload. This weight looks plenty manageable. Just hammer the new cues during your next workout and reassess from there.

That's awesome Jeff! What increment jumps are you making on your lifts?
    I've been making 2.5 kg jumps on everything at this point. The smallest plate my gym has is 1.25 kg. Should I try and buy 0.625 kg plates?

Bingo. Nah, you don't need to deload. This weight looks plenty manageable. Just hammer the new cues during your next workout and reassess from there.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll make the adjustments today and see how it goes.

Jeff

I've been making 2.5 kg jumps on everything at this point. The smallest plate my gym has is 1.25 kg. Should I try and buy 0.625 kg plates?

Jeff
    Yes sir. You need smaller plates to micro-load the press and bench. You'll stall in a hurry trying to continue with 2.5 kilo jumps for too much longer.

Thanks for the advice! I'll make the adjustments today and see how it goes.
    You're very welcome. Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    Hi Caleb,

I squatted again today trying to implement your suggestions. Some of them felt pretty smooth and others felt pretty choppy. In the first set reps 1,2,and 4 felt pretty good, am I correct that those ones are better?

YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube

lsiberian, here is a video of my bench. I think it's ok, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    YouTube

Thanks again for any pointers, I'm really keen to improve my technique!

Cheers,
    Jeff