starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Began the program in May, and recently hit a barrier with squatting. My upper back was rounding badly at 225, so I de-loaded to 205. Now my knees are starting to hurt constantly. I am 23 and 300lbs. My doctor diagnosed me with arthritis in November and another doctor diagnosed Chondromalacia Patellae in June. I started using knee sleeves in June and they helped, but now the pain is back.

This is #210x6. The last rep was an accident.

YouTube

Am I not pushing my knees out enough? Or could it be my stance is wrong? I don't have any remarkable pain while squatting, but I have a desk job and all day with my knees bent gets uncomfortable. And it's definitely worse the day after I squat.

I appreciate any advice.

Your're making all the classic errors that make knees hurt. Have you read the blue book?

Mark, I have read SS:BBT 3rd Edition. Re-read the sections on bounce, knee safety, and knee control. If I had to guess, 1) I'm dropping into the bottom too quickly, and 2) my knees are coming too far forward. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Davis View Post
    Mark, I have read SS:BBT 3rd Edition. Re-read the sections on bounce, knee safety, and knee control. If I had to guess, 1) I'm dropping into the bottom too quickly, and 2) my knees are coming too far forward. Is that correct?
    And what about your back angle through the reps?

If my knees are coming forward that means my back is too vertical, right? So I need to close my hip angle more?

Exactimundo.

Thanks for the advice! I'll work on it tonight.

Well, I went through my warmup sets last night trying to keep my back more horizontal, and only made it up to 155.

YouTube

I know there are several problems with this: my hips go back on the way up a lot, and I have to get better at setting my knees earlier in the descent. But am I at least on the right track? Are there any other glaring problems?

Had the same issue. The useful block of wood helps.

starting strength coach development program
    Hmm... I'll see if I can use the TUBOW on my next workout. Somebody also linked a video about fixing good morning squats but then they deleted the post. My next workout is Wednesday. Thanks for the suggestion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast