starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Question Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, in another thread in the programming section I posted some videos of my lifts, Bench Press video: YouTube
    Deadlift video: YouTube (I know that in the last reps my back get's rounded up, I think that I might need to start increasing less weight per workout)
    Squat video: YouTube (In this set I failed but wasn't because the weight felt heavy, I got distracted and f*cked my form, I repeated that set later and accomplished the 5 reps), regarding my squat they told me I wasn't dropping my hips enough and in the deadlift I didn't knew how to srt my back, so today I dropped the weight a little and filmed my squat and deadlift which were he ones I had problems with, and was hoping if some of the experts on this site could review my lifts and tell me how could I improve:

Squat video: YouTube
    Deadlift video: YouTube

If anybody need more information about me, don't mind asking it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarciac View Post
    Hi all, in another thread in the programming section I posted some videos of my lifts, Bench Press video: YouTube
    Deadlift video: YouTube (I know that in the last reps my back get's rounded up, I think that I might need to start increasing less weight per workout)
    Squat video: YouTube (In this set I failed but wasn't because the weight felt heavy, I got distracted and f*cked my form, I repeated that set later and accomplished the 5 reps), regarding my squat they told me I wasn't dropping my hips enough and in the deadlift I didn't knew how to srt my back, so today I dropped the weight a little and filmed my squat and deadlift which were he ones I had problems with, and was hoping if some of the experts on this site could review my lifts and tell me how could I improve:

Squat video: YouTube
    Deadlift video: YouTube

If anybody need more information about me, don't mind asking it.
    Thanks.
    Bump

Greetings-
    I recommend you read the sticky above for filming form checks, as there is much we cannot see.

Squat- I can see that you need to slow your descent. Other things may be wrong, but you're wearing too much black and the camera is too close for my non-coach eye to see much else (i.e. depth may be questionable on a few of these).

Deadlift- Again, read the sticky. It'd be nice to see your feet and if the bar is in contact with your legs the whole time. I'd cue you to really hit step 4 (chest up!)better before you start pulling- as it looks to me that you could set your back more, really tighten up before you pull, take a bigger breath etc. The Niki Sims video on pulling the slack out of the bar has some good cues for step 4 (heavy in your hands).

Bench- Get a spotter. Lose the clips. Try using more leg drive.

Keep on working!

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_paddler View Post
    Greetings-
    I recommend you read the sticky above for filming form checks, as there is much we cannot see.

Squat- I can see that you need to slow your descent. Other things may be wrong, but you're wearing too much black and the camera is too close for my non-coach eye to see much else (i.e. depth may be questionable on a few of these).

Deadlift- Again, read the sticky. It'd be nice to see your feet and if the bar is in contact with your legs the whole time. I'd cue you to really hit step 4 (chest up!)better before you start pulling- as it looks to me that you could set your back more, really tighten up before you pull, take a bigger breath etc. The Niki Sims video on pulling the slack out of the bar has some good cues for step 4 (heavy in your hands).

Bench- Get a spotter. Lose the clips. Try using more leg drive.

Keep on working!
    I will fix the speed on my squat today, yesterday I practiced the tempo with lighter weight, the problem of depth it's that I can't go any lower without hitter the rack with the bar, but now in the new footage I felt more work on my glutes and hamstrings.

Next workout I will try to film my deadlift from another angle, also I find it pretty difficult to put chest any higher without dropping my hips a little bit, but I will try, and also will check the video you say.

The problem of a spotter it's that I'm in a comercial gym that doesn't have any experienced guy that could really provide useful help. Yeah I know that I need to use more leg drive, but when I try to do it I find myself moving in the bench and/or raising my butt off the bench.

Thanks for the recommendations, really was looking for this.

I will fix the speed on my squat today, yesterday I practiced the tempo with lighter weight, the problem of depth it's that I can't go any lower without hitter the rack with the bar, but now in the new footage I felt more work on my glutes and hamstrings.

Next workout I will try to film my deadlift from another angle, also I find it pretty difficult to put chest any higher without dropping my hips a little bit, but I will try, and also will check the video you say.

The problem of a spotter it's that I'm in a comercial gym that doesn't have any experienced guy that could really provide useful help. Yeah I know that I need to use more leg drive, but when I try to do it I find myself moving in the bench and/or raising my butt off the bench.

Thanks for the recommendations, really was looking for this.
    UPDATE: Days ago I started feeling a sharp pain in my lower back, at the left side, today I decided to film again my squat form from two different angle, from the back and the side, and found that I'm tilting more to the right side on the whole movement, mainly when I'm going out of the hole, I think this is the reason on the pain and the form mistakes, however I want to know if anyone, any coach or someone else, could help me fix this problem in my form, and if this could be the reason of the pain.
    Video: YouTube (First clip is the first set and the second clip it's from the second set)
    Thanks.

Angle is bad and you are wearing all black. Very difficult to see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    Angle is bad and you are wearing all black. Very difficult to see anything.
    It's what I have, I don't have too much colour variety.

It's what I have, I don't have too much colour variety.
    We can’t see your knees, hips, grip, anything. No one can tell you anything about how to improve this.

Pick a different angle at the very least. Buy a grey shirt.

There’s a sticky about this. Find it and read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    We can’t see your knees, hips, grip, anything. No one can tell you anything about how to improve this.

Pick a different angle at the very least. Buy a grey shirt.

There’s a sticky about this. Find it and read it.
    I will, sorry, I'll try to film from the front, the thing it's that the squat rack it's right in front of a mirror so there's like no space between to fill comfortable, I think I have a grey shirt and white shorts

starting strength coach development program
    You guys are spending a lot of time typing to a kid who has not read the book. At some point, this becomes important.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast