starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form chack

Default Deadlift form chack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube
    Did 1x5 with 100kg was easy. How is the form?
    thanks.

Stand up straight at lockout.

Don't hump your junk forward at the top. Just hold it for a moment.

Break from your hips first on the descent. Knees break after you pass them.

Lose the Chucks. Video from front quarter at hip height and not from the next town over next time.

It also looks to me like you get a pretty nice set up, but then when you take your breath and start the pull, you drop your hips and your shoulders move back behind the bar. Just make sure that you keep your hips high when you take your breath and start to pull, and that you keep your shoulders a bit in front of the bar. You find the right position during your initial set up, just make sure you keep it when you begin the pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Stand up straight at lockout.

Don't hump your junk forward at the top. Just hold it for a moment.

Break from your hips first on the descent. Knees break after you pass them.

Lose the Chucks. Video from front quarter at hip height and not from the next town over next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DillonS View Post
    It also looks to me like you get a pretty nice set up, but then when you take your breath and start the pull, you drop your hips and your shoulders move back behind the bar. Just make sure that you keep your hips high when you take your breath and start to pull, and that you keep your shoulders a bit in front of the bar. You find the right position during your initial set up, just make sure you keep it when you begin the pull.
    Did 102.5 kg today. worked on the breath and tried to lift my chest up in the final. how is the last rep looked? is the back get rounded?

YouTube this is the vid sorry for the double post

Yeah, not much changed from the first to second video. In fact, your video quality/angle got worse which means we can't see things we want to see. Please read the form check filming suggestions (requirements, really) at the top of the forum and work on the things Satch listed- he gives good advice.

In this video it seems really obvious that you're pulling around your knees, and descending around them as well. We can't see your bar position (again), but from what I can see it looks too far from your shins. This image may help you see what I'm talking about.

You want to look like the 90 degree guy, and look pretty close as you do your set up. As you pull, though, you sit back, move your shoulders from in front of the bar to directly over them, and end up having to pull around your knees. Basically you start as the 90 degree guy, but by the time you pull you're the 65 degree guy.

Is anyone else seeing that? I'm not so confident in my coaching to be 100% certain, but I've read that article and thus seen that image dozens of times, so it kind of jumped out at me.

Setup looks good, camera angle not good.

Like DillonS said, you're getting your shoulders behind the bar. Think about pushing your feet through the floor.

As usual, do all Satch said, especially about not murdering your knees on your descent.

Today i didnthe 102.5 kg again but i worked on what you guys said to me to work(on the decent i will work and fix it)
    but, today it felt much easier to lift the bar.
    YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Next: look for an excellent post by SSC Michael Wolf, who has a training log here in "Competitive". About his own DL session, he talks about not rushing the setup, but not lingering, either. I think we saw the man behind you complete an entire set of dips in the time it took you to set up for one rep.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast