starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press 1.0 or 2.0?

Default Press 1.0 or 2.0?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I was wondering what it's the best variation of the press for a beginner, the press 1.0 or 2.0, currently I'm doing the press with a dead stop around the chest, taking a deep breath a pushing the weight up, but I can't perform the hip drive correctly, when I try to do it I loose tension all over my core and glutes, should I get a better progression doing the press 1.0, where I breathe at the top and the drop the weight down?
    Thanks

Press 1.0 is assisted by a stretch reflex at the bottom; you don't stop them at the chest between reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Press 1.0 is assisted by a stretch reflex at the bottom; you don't stop them at the chest between reps.
    Yeah I know, my question its if I should change to do that, or continue doing the stop at the chest, but without hip drive?

I would say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I would say yes.
    Okay, thanks, today I will do press 1.0 to see how it feels

I haven't looked in a while, but is the 1.0 still in BBT? If not I would just stick with the method described there (2.0, I suppose). There are reasons things get updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I haven't looked in a while, but is the 1.0 still in BBT? If not I would just stick with the method described there (2.0, I suppose). There are reasons things get updated.
    But I really don't know how to implement the hip drive, it causes me to loose form. However I will check if it's still there. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgarciac View Post
    But I really don't know how to implement the hip drive, it causes me to loose form. However I will check if it's still there. Thanks
    Squeeze your abs and quads tight, keep your chest up, and thrust your hips forward. You should naturally rebound off the anterior tightness you've created. Use a belt if you must so you can squeeze your abs tight. From there it's just practicing the timing.

Maybe you're thrusting forward too violently. Post a video.

Press 1.0 is beautiful

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    It's not the preferred method, but the coaches still teach it where applicable. Some people can't get the timing right. Some people don't have the necessary flexibility in that direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast