starting strength gym

Thread: Weightlifting shoes vs chuck taylors

Default Weightlifting shoes vs chuck taylors

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Which one is better for the low bar squat, and which one is safer on the knee ? The latter is my primary concern since i'm working through patellar tendonitis.

Wow. They usually link an article or forum message when moving to repetitive inquiries. You didn't even get that...

The answer is weightlifting shoes. Not crossfit shoes. The cheapest I've found: Amazon.com | adidas Men's Powerlift.3.1 | Fitness & Cross-Training

Chucks are not as good, but they are better than bare feet or socked feet.

-->Adam

Mirat-

The answer is weightlifting shoes as Adam said, with a disclaimer that the EXACT lifting shoe may be dependent on your build. But if you have patellar tendonitis you need shoes. Here is a Barbell Logic video we made on the subject...

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Cygan View Post
    Mirat-

But if you have patellar tendonitis you need shoes.
    How do weightlifting shoes help (or hurt) patellar tendonitis?

Well, Fulcrum...

The more rigid sole of the weightlifting shoe is going to eliminate shifting of the foot in the shoe, the ankle joint medial/laterally which in turn will eliminate extra movement of the because of course all the joints are affected by the other. The metatarsal strap of the lifting shoe further anchors in the foot to the shoe- far better than shoe laces a lone. Patellar tendonitis is irritated during squatting by improper position of the knees, and if the foot is not stable in its contact with the ground- it is more difficult to establish proper knee position. I promise- that every lifter who has ever started out lifting in chucks and switched to lifters- usually wishes that they had done so sooner. We really can't recommend lifters enough- if you are serious about lifting... you need the shoes!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Cygan View Post
    I promise- that every lifter who has ever started out lifting in chucks and switched to lifters- usually wishes that they had done so sooner.
    This was exactly my experience. Started in Chucks for the first 4 months of lifting then switched to Adipowers. I don't know what took me so long. Proper lifting shoes are the most important equipment investment a lifter can make.