starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narrow Squat Form Check Please

Default Narrow Squat Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3 sets from different angles, plus a double to try to get adequate depth: YouTube
    I tried to edit out everything except the reps.

Background: 52, 150lbs, 5'7", history of arthritic condition that attacked spine & shoulder/hip joints. Arthritis under control now, but left spine stiff.
    Started SS a few weeks ago, got an adductor (groin) strain. Took a few workouts to figure out it was my squat (though it was the deadlift at first).
    Separated Squat & Deadlift workouts and added more rest days to heal up the adductors. I'm not 100% yet but I'm hoping to get back on the 3x week schedule when things feel better.
    Got up to 135lbs on squat before groin strain stopped me.
    Switched to Narrow Stance (found forum posting where Rip recommended this for a groin strain)
    & deloaded to 125.
    This videotaped workout is the first where I could do 3 sets of 5 at 125.
    BTW, though I deloaded squats & deadlift, I continue to PR in the OHP and Bench.

Things I know are wrong:

Grip: Thumbs need to be up, got to where it is now through stretching my shoulder. Hopefully more stretching will get me there.
    Kyphosis: Thorax a little in flexion due to stiff back. Stiff back does put my lumbar spine in (hopefully proper) extension.

I have the same general question of whether my form looks ok.

Specific Questions:
    Is my grip width ok? My ring fingers are on the 32" mark. If I try I can get my little fingers on that mark, with increasing pain in my front shoulders.

Is my depth ok? I felt the stretch reflex on most of the reps, but the best ones seem to be barely parallel. I dropped 10lbs and did a double at the end with what appears to be the proper "slightly below parallel" depth. Do you agree?

First, I have no skill and am a total noob, and shouldn't be listened to. That said, if you are fool enough to do so...

The bar is too high on your back - this looks like a high-bar squat to me and causes your torso to be more vertical.
    You shake your hips left and right. I haven't read about that being bad, but it probably is - if you're twisting your spine during a squat, that's asking for trouble.
    You aren't doing Valsava correctly. Inhale deeply at the top, hold your breath, and tighten every fiber of your core like you are desperately trying to release "occasional irregularity". Don't breathe or relax your core until you are back at the top.
    I can't comment on stance - know nothing at all about a narrow-stance squat... You aren't hitting depth, but I'm not sure that is possible with your stance.

-->Adam
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 09-05-2018 at 07:22 AM.

vlcsnap-2018-09-05-09h34m16s098.jpg

Thanks for replying Adam. So I'm enclosing a pic of the last rep. Is this too vertical? And not deep enough?
    It looks like slightly below parallel to me, but it is after I took 10lbs off and tried for more depth.

Again, listening to me is a bad idea. Seriously, can someone who knows something help this guy?

My 2c, which is likely wrong - I think you are very close to the right depth - not sure. The angle still looks kinda vertical and the bar looks a little high. A high bar squat will result in a more vertical back angle, but so will short legs and a long torso, and I'm not good enough with human anatomy to judge that.
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 09-05-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Squat back angle is vertical because you are doing a high bar squat. It is a reasonable position for a high bar squat. I don't believe that a "narrow squat" should have no toe angle and knees going forward. for a "narrow squat" I would bring the feet closer together but still align toes out 30 degrees and let knees track inline with toes.

You will probably find less adducter strain with a correctly positioned low bar squat. You will get better guidance on these forums if you are doing the squat as we train it.

Your depth in the photo seems below parallel.

Your setup in the video from behind is poor. You need to stabilize with knees and hips locked at the top of each rep, including the first. You look like you are bent at the waist from unracking to the start of the 1st squat which is a recipe for trouble. Unrack the bar like you are finishing a rep; deep breath held drive up and stabilize with knees and hips locked, then walk out. You can see in that video that you have virtually no "knees out".

Also. Your shoes are your platform for stability. Those are like squatting in a kayak. GET BETTER SHOES BEFORE YOU GET HURT.

You would greatly benefit from a session or 2 with a SS Coach.

I recommend getting weight lifting shoes and make a new video. Critiquing your form in those shoes is not going to help you.

vlcsnap-2018-09-05-13h46m42s605.jpg

I'll look into weight lifting shoes since you guys (& the book) seem to recommend them. I've been using boat shoes (specifically Sperry's) or other thin soled shoes like Chucks.
    However do I need to be wearing squat shoes to critique back/foot angle?

Attached is another pic of the best rep from the second set. It look to me right about parallel. I think I have my feet angled out properly. Should my knees be out more?

vlcsnap-2018-09-05-13h44m34s096.jpg

And since a couple people said it looks like a high bar squat, here is a pic of me from above racking the empty bar.
    I'd like to get to the bottom of this, since bar position is important. When I rack I do feel for the ridge of the scapula and place it right below.
    I double check sometimes by leaving one hand on the bar and reaching around with the other hand to feel a little of the scapula jutting out from below the bar.
    If I put the bar above the scapula, it feels stable, but not as stable as when it's a little below.
    If this is not the right position I'm a little at a loss, because there is no obvious position I can feel lower than this point.
    Below this point the bar wants to roll down.

I do try to keep the bar over mid-foot the entire length of the squat.
    If my back angle looks a little higher, could it be that it's because my torso is a little long for my relatively short arms and legs?

starting strength coach development program
    Anyway, thanks to everyone that replied so far. I think the Valsava comment helps Adam. I was vocalizing the count (because I was losing count during max exertion), but I should stop doing that and just hold my breath and keep my core tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast